Marantz AV7005 - Widow w/question

I’ve posted before on this item, but this is a new question. I’ve got this listed locally for $400. It’s got all the original accessories--the AM wire antenna, FM loop antenna, Audyssey calibration microphone, remote, power cord, manual and the original box. Plus it works & is in excellent condition--there isn’t a mark on it.

A potential buyer came over last night to look at it. He said a buddy of his who deals with used electronics told him there were 3 versions of this piece. The 3rd version was the best one as it was designed to prevent it rom overheating.

After looking at mine, he said it was the 2nd version & only wanted to pay me $200 for it. I said I’d go down to $375 (and I may have gone to $350, but I wasn’t prepared to accept $200 until I knew more. I said that when I researched the selling price, none of the listings I looked at ever mentioned the version their model was. I also told him I’d let him know, thinking that in the meantime I would check here to see if what he said was true or not. (Let me clarify: I don’t think the buyer is lying; I just don’t know if I believe what his friend told him.)

Does anyone know what this guy is talking about? If mine is the 2nd version, is $200 the going rate? (I’m seeing "sold" prices ranging from $290 to $900, with the average at $450.)

Thanks for any help you can give.
kkirk001
Your price is already good, forget the 3 version nonsense, here's your USA competition, the lowest is $375, most higher, the lower priced one is damaged from shipping.

https://www.hifishark.com/search?q=Marantz+AV7005

everything including the box, that's easy to ship: I suggest you list it on eBay, us audio mart, returns accepted (buyer pays return shipping). I don't buy no returns. I offer unconditional returns, I've never had anything I sold returned, and if I did, maybe it had a problem I wasn't unaware of.

It has pre-out for front L and front R, that is desirable, if I was in the market, that is a feature I would look for and not that many used units offer.

you might add that fact to your ad.
Hi elliottbnewcombjr,
Thanks for your reply & thanks for the suggestion about what to add to the listing. 
Do you happen to know what he's referring to about the different versions? He said it was about the way something was arranged inside the unit to prevent overheating...two things being one on top of the other vs side by side, or some such thing.
BTW, if anyone wants to actually see my post, what the unit looks like & how I've described it, my post can be viewed here. 
https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/415275380107418
I don’t know, and I think the potential buyer was using some unimportant knowledge to beat you down in price. If it was a real issue, he would not buy it for any price.

My search, nothing about it came up except great reviews, and any AVR, especially 7.1 needs proper clearance for heat escape.

internationally there are 56 for sale on hifishark. none of the usa listings mentioned ’fixed’ ’fan replaced’

Your’s is a great ’like new’ offering, you might raise your price if you list it on eBay, then put ’make offer’.

others are asking $40. for shipping, or, some add $50. to the price and give 'free shipping' to USA Mainland.
Thanks elliottbnewcombjr. I also looked on hifishark and didn't see anything that referred to different 'versions' of this.
do you have the receipt? do you know the date when it was made, or when it was purchased new?

if you know who he bought it from, they might have the ability to look it up in their computer.
He is trying to beat the price down so he can flip it for 400+.  A lot of Craigslist buyers are just plain flippers.  Walk away.  Try a new Craigslist add with the added details.  As for 3 versions, well of course, yours will be the lowest, it is all part of the flippers scam.  I won't do Craigslist due to all the flippers and their low, low offers.  Ebay is not the sellers best friend, it will go out of it's way to protect the buyer-but not the seller.  I have a newer version of the Marantz with atmos.  The 400 price point is solid and should not be negotiated lower.  Don't get me wrong, I purchase from Ebay and Craigslist both.
So get this, I've wasted so much time with this guy...he sent me a message this morning saying, " I was wrong about the 2 separate amps... my friend just saw a picture & thought it was the newer model."

Move on from him.  I owned this unit (lost it in a divorce) and it is an unusually good pre/pro and has lingered on "best" lists long after it was discontinued.   There was a weird break in production due to the earthquake in Japan but it had nothing to do with the unit over-heating.  That is BS.  

$400 is a good price.  List it on US Audiomart and have buyer pay shipping.  That unit is worth it and should sell.  
Forget the versions, forget the "buyer". Take lots of good pictures, including especially the shipping carton, write it up real good and sell it on eBay. You will get by far the most money, and least hassles, and be done with it.
Thanks everybody. This site has helped me out so much with selling my husband's stereo and AV components, speakers, etc. You are ALL much appreciated!!
donvito, because I don't want to deal with shipping. That's why I've avoided ebay and other sites, too. And that's why I have it advertised for local pickup on Marketplace.
Local pickup is the easiest way. You might want to give OfferUp a go if you don't have any luck with the FB marketplace. Just make sure you do not entertain any sketchy-sounding messages. Click on the user’s profile, check to make sure they have some positive Feedback, etc. My experiences buying and selling on OfferUp have been positive for what it's worth. 
Ebay is the last place to sell anything. The selling fee is about 13% of the total sale. Like the above post says list it here with local pickup only. The listing fee is very reasonable!

I needed to repack something, had the box and shipping innards.

I found there are 'unboxing' videos on YouTube, saw how to put it back in properly, shipped it as safely as the manufacturer did.

this is similar to yours

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hITpsbQ4f_U
Hello,
Ignore the “dealer”. If you can set it up to show it works you will get more money. I think $400 is totally fair with all of the original accessories and packing material. Be patient. You will sell it. Especially since winterfeld is coming. People will be stuck in their homes and be reverting back to hermit mode. 
I have been selling Marantz for 15 years & they never release 3 versions: With AV preamps, They may have 2 versions: For example, with the flagship, There is an AV8805 & AV8805A. The A model would be the 8k version & Marantz  offers an upgrade path for 8805. The only difference is the HDMI board. The flagship model is in production for much longer than  the rest of the line  so Marantz offers the hardware upgrade. As far the 7000 series of AV Preamps, there us 1 version with multiple software updates for about 2 years. Hopefully, this info is helpful. 1 side note, the current av7706 had issues with defective 8 k support with earlier models. Models after a certain date, I can't remember what that date is, will not have the issue.
I owned this processor as well....  For a loooong time.  In fact, I gave it to my retired father when I bought a Krell processor 4-5 years ago.  It is still going strong and I would almost guarantee you, if there really were 3 versions (which I seriously doubt), mine would be the 1st one.  And it never came close to heating up.  My father even has it now in an enclosed shelf and an IR blaster to control it with.  So he is feeding you a complete and utter line of BS.  Walk away on principle even if he offers $600 (unless you really, really need the money).
If the 'buyer' continues, you could say that the asking price stands for all but him....

...that for trying to hose you with self-doubt.
For his 'free psych session, it went up 100$ and all in cash.

He will disappear.

Make yourself some better luck, and sorry for your loss.
Or you can say,
“I did my research and also reached out to the audiophile community found no such issues that you describe.  I find it repugnant that you would lie just for a bit of money. So no, I’m not going to sell it to you”

Now the ball is in his court to prove he wasn’t lying- don’t hold your breath.