Is Marantz AV8805 good enough pre amp for McIntosh MC8207

In the market for a new preamp to hook up to my MC8207 and was wondering if the Marantz AV8805 is worth the investment. I was gonna go with the McIntosh MX-122 but that thing is already outdated when it comes to new features and it costs twice as much. I don't have a store to go to to listen to the AV8805 and this is gonna be a blind buy for me this time. This setup is gonna be for my new home theater room that I am about to start building and planning to add another McIntosh amp down the road for the rest of the speakers and probably it's gonna be another MC8207 to be able to fully use the 8805.
tomiiv30
Aren’t some of the Mc AV processors based on Marantz designs anyway? That Marantz should be far ahead of the outdated Mc offerings at a lot lower cost.
That's what I've heard and that's why I am leaning more towards the Marantz than Mcintosh for my preamp. Second of all I am getting the latest and greatest of what Marantz offers and it's Made In Japan(can't go wrong there). I heard that Mac used and maybe still uses Marantz's designs into their own premaps and was told that Mac is the last place to buy a preamp from and that they do not update their gear on time. Problem or dilemma that I am having is how does the AV8805 sounds when compared to the MX122
High end Marantz processors seem to be the go to choice with people integrating HT and two channel systems so it must be fine.  Other options at a higher cost would be the Classe' SSP series. Unless you "need" all the extra channels of the 8805 you can probably drop down to the 7705 and from someplace like Accessories4Less save even more. The problem with Mc digital based products is that much of their parts are outsourced and they don't have a clue up firmware and software delivery or updating.  Also their repair times are very long. If you stick with their amps or analog based preamps you are fine as that is what the company was built on.  
I recently replaced my Marantz AV8801 (two generations removed from the AV8805) with a refurbished Marantz AV7704.  The price difference was over $3K.  

If your main interest is home theater and you don't need some of the extra connections available on the 8805, I would get the 7704 or 7705.  For home theater I can't tell any difference between the 8801 and the 7704.  It seemed like the 8801 sounded better than the 7704 for 2 channel, but not dramatically better. 

Supposedly the 8805 sounds better than the 8801.  I have not had an opportunity to compare.  If 2 channel listening is important, then it may be worth the money to get the 8805.  You might be able to pick up an AV8802 for about half the price of the AV8805.  I've seen some used ones here and some refurbished ones on a couple of web sites.

My preference is for 2 channel listening and I use a Modwright LS100 for 2 channel and use the HTBP function to send amplification to the AV7704 for movies. 

A good quality 2 channel preamp should sound significantly better for 2 channel listening.  It depends on your listening preferences and space considerations.
This is an area where I do think the technology has brought the price down. Before the home theatre phenomenon bloomed in the '90s, i was using a variety of processors, including Lexicon, Fosgate, etc. When discrete multi-channel was standardized I bought Meridian components, which were fairly expensive and a pain to program. The Meridan eventually grew long in the tooth, replaced by McIntosh and then eventually to a box shop mid-range Marantz, which at least for HT purposes (I don't use it for music), sounds better, is easier to program, has a basic form of room correction and is a fraction of the price of the earlier 'state of the art' pre-pros. I guess there is still a market for those, but at least for my use, after having had some big, fancy HT projection systems with full sized racks of equipment for line doubling, amplification, woofer servo control (old Velodyne) and assorted other components, I enjoy the simplicity of a much more modest flat screen, pre-pro, multichannel amp and modest satellite array with a decent subwoofer. Fraction of the price. Remember the Faroujda components that cost well over 10k US for upscaling? Now a cheap chip installed in most TVs and processors. Perhaps my standards are lower now- I gave up laser disc, DVD, Blu, etc. and just stream movies. The prices on HT gear do seem to have come down as performance has increased. 
If I were you I would get the Marantz AV8805 over the Mac MX122. If you want to go with Mac I suggest you look at the MX160 as this will be a step up sonically than the AV8805 or the MX122. However, the Marantz & the Mac MX122 are very good for HT but aren’t good enough for 2ch music playbacks IMO.
The MX160 might be good enough for your 2ch listening needs depending on your expectation when it comes to stereo listening to music. Another processors that will perform well in 2ch will be the Classe SSP 800 & Classe Sigma SSP, Krell Evo 707, 1200U and possibly the Krell Foundation series, Cary Cinema 12, Bryston SP4/SP3, Meridian Reference 861 v8.

The Mac MX122 was based on the Marantz AV8802. They only shared same base platform, HDMI boards, GUI, OSD & firmware as well as remote. But Mac built its own power supplies, DAC, clock, digitall and analog audio circuitry, analog audio output stages, voltage regulator, etc.

If 2ch is important to you I suggest you look at a high end stereo preamp with HT bypass feature. But you should also get a good dedicated stereo or monoblock power amps for your front 2ch speakers if 2ch listening is of important to you.
While your Mac MC8207 seven-channel amp is fine for HT but it isn’t good enough for 2ch listening to music.
I did go with the Marantz AV8805 for my HT because I could not pass up the deal I got from the authorized Marantz dealer. I wanted to have a preamp that had all the latest technology built inot it and be of a good brand with a good reputation(also I grew up having Marantz) so little nostalgia there. 

As for the Amp which is the MC8207 that is rated at 200W into 8 Ohms, wouldn't it give me the same 2 ch listening as to having a dedicated 2 channel McIntosh Amp that is rated at the same in power? Even though I don't think Mac has any new 2 channel amp that is 200w x 2, it's either 150x2 or 300x2 so no doubt that the 300x2 would be better than the mc8207

For your stereo listening you can get a high end very good stereo integrated amp. Doesn't have to be stereo separates. Really good stereo integrated amp such as the Gryphon Diablo analog integrated amp (expensive) but you will need a very good front end source components to go with that. There are other countless options out there. 
Do you have a turntable? If you only had a digital front end source components you should consider getting either a PS Audio DirectStream DAC with a very good streamer and transport, various Naim DS, either Linn Akurate or Klimax DS, etc.
Again there are countless other options out there. 
@tomiiv30 - How do you like the AV8805?  As I have said in multiple other threads, I tested the 8805 and thought it was very good, but with slightly rolled off highs.  If you want more high frequency resolution, I recommend upgrading the fuse to 2A SMALL Hi-Fi Tuning Supreme.  This will likely increase the video quality as well, because the video was a little grainy in my opinion.  The Marantz is excellent design, but they use very slow op amps in the DAC I/V section to create the Marantz "warmth".
@caphill Do you think it is worth getting that expensive amp to drive my less expensive or entry level B&W 683’s S2? I mean I like this speakers for what they are but I would not think that they can handle the kind of amps like the Gryphon Diablo and such. What’s your take on it?
Sorry cause first I didn't know what your speakers were. My bad. Yes, what you currently have are more than good enough for your B&W 683 S2. I think the Mac is somewhat overkill for your speakers. The Rotel amp will do just fine for your 683 S2. 
@auxinput I still haven't gotten it yet, it will be few days until it comes to my house. Once I get it and install it I will let you know my thoughts and I think that I will like it because I am coming from a very old almost 20 year old receiver which is Onkyo that was paired with some shitty Polk speakers. Few months ago I upgraded the speakers and got the B&W's 600 S2 series speakers, I got a pair of 683 S2 Floorstanding, HTM61 S2 Center and 2 pairs of 685 S2 bookshelves to give me that 7.1 surround. I will be upgrading my sub and will get 2 of them and think that i will go with REL or JL. Also looking for suggestion for my Atmos speakers I want to get 4 of them for the Tops/Heights.
I have had the 8805 in my video room for over a month now. It is a very nice sounding piece. It is significantly more open and better sounding than my twenty year old Theta Casanova. It integrates well with my rotel/ Focal setup. I recommend this piece for those who want a hybrid, both 2 channel listening and want a state of the art theater room. The Audysey Platinum software makes tuning a room a breeze. 
I have been using the  8802A for about 18 months with Bryston amps . I cannot say enough about the Marantz.  very musical in 2 Channel and 7.1.  the connectivity of the Marantz is endless and easy to set up.  new ones are selling for approximately $2200 now.  
you will not notice or hear any difference between the 8802A and the 8805.  unless youre into having the latest and greatest, Save yourself $3,000 and get the 8802A IMO. 
@tomiiv30 

For your B&W 683 S2 speakers you can use your Marantz AV8805 and your Mac MC8207 seven-channel amp for both stereo and HT imo until you upgrade your front speakers for stereo listening, then you can start looking for a dedicated stereo preamp with HT bypass feature and a better stereo or monoblock amps for your front speakers. But until then you are good with what you have.
I have always wanted to have a McIntosh gear and when time came to upgrade my HT I looked no further than the MC8207 which was priced perfect for my likings, I am not that much into the blue meters for my HT so that's why I decided to get the $3000 cheaper version of the MC207. As for the preamp I went with Marantz AV8805 blind without hearing it just because I grew up with Marantz gear (wish I still had it) knowing that Marantz sound is up to what I like, plus again I am saving big over the MX122. 
I had to mention that the store I bought the gear from gave me really good discount on the Marantz and some on the Mac amp so that made the deal even sweeter.
I would put the money I saved towards building my dedicated Home Theater Room which I will start construction within a month or so and plan to finish in 3 months tops. It would be in my basement and a size of 12' x 25'ish. Can't wait to see that project finished.
I have the Mac MC452 paired with a Marantz 8805.  Sounds phenomenal, been testing with 2ch and have to say they work well together.  I am using the combo with Martin Logan Impression 11A’s and have to say the sound stage, instrument separation, and clarity are fantastic.  I do like the fact that you can stream Tidal native FLAC from the HEOS app, the sounds quality is amazing.

You can’t go wrong at all with the Marantz and a Mac combo.  Especially at the Marantz price point.  I was planing on picking up a tube pre down the road (probably the C2600) but the 8805 has pushed the need for that out for a long while.
@eziggy7

I am really happy with the Marantz AV8805, this thing is ridiculously good and worth the money, when it comes to processing music in stereo or 4K Blu Ray HDR whatever movies, nothing comes close to the 8805 in its price range. I had an older Onkyo receiver and thought that thing was good but when I hooked up the 8805 to the MC8207 there was a really really big difference in sound and processing and separation, clarity, you name it the 8805 will do it. I was sceptical at first and was thinking that I should've went with the MX122 but man I think IMHO the Marantz outdid the MX122 by far.

I also bought new C52 and a used/demo MC452 and it was phenomenal pairing between both but the MC452 had some problems from the get go and had to return it and bought a brand new MC462.  Still haven't unboxed but I am expecting a better sound comparing the the MC452.
@caphill 

Thank You

Now the search and demoing for some new tower speakers begins, have to find a good match for the MC462/C52. My B&W 683 S2's are not a match at all, they sound a lot better when hooked up to the MC462/C52 but I need more powerful once to get the max potential from the amp/pre combo.

Yes you definitely need to upgrade your speakers from the B&W 683 S2, especially now that you have the Mac C52/MC462 combo for your stereo listening to music. You can move up B&W line such as the 803 D3 or the 802 D3 and they will sound very good paired with the Mac MC462 amp. And you will need to get a matching center channel speaker for them, which is the B&W HTML1 D3 center speaker. For surrounds you can get the B&W 805 D3 unless if you're using those in-wall surround speakers right now. 
Then you will be all set.