Is Marantz AV8805 good enough pre amp for McIntosh MC8207

In the market for a new preamp to hook up to my MC8207 and was wondering if the Marantz AV8805 is worth the investment. I was gonna go with the McIntosh MX-122 but that thing is already outdated when it comes to new features and it costs twice as much. I don't have a store to go to to listen to the AV8805 and this is gonna be a blind buy for me this time. This setup is gonna be for my new home theater room that I am about to start building and planning to add another McIntosh amp down the road for the rest of the speakers and probably it's gonna be another MC8207 to be able to fully use the 8805.
tomiiv30

Showing 7 responses by tomiiv30

That's what I've heard and that's why I am leaning more towards the Marantz than Mcintosh for my preamp. Second of all I am getting the latest and greatest of what Marantz offers and it's Made In Japan(can't go wrong there). I heard that Mac used and maybe still uses Marantz's designs into their own premaps and was told that Mac is the last place to buy a preamp from and that they do not update their gear on time. Problem or dilemma that I am having is how does the AV8805 sounds when compared to the MX122
@auxinput I still haven't gotten it yet, it will be few days until it comes to my house. Once I get it and install it I will let you know my thoughts and I think that I will like it because I am coming from a very old almost 20 year old receiver which is Onkyo that was paired with some shitty Polk speakers. Few months ago I upgraded the speakers and got the B&W's 600 S2 series speakers, I got a pair of 683 S2 Floorstanding, HTM61 S2 Center and 2 pairs of 685 S2 bookshelves to give me that 7.1 surround. I will be upgrading my sub and will get 2 of them and think that i will go with REL or JL. Also looking for suggestion for my Atmos speakers I want to get 4 of them for the Tops/Heights.
I did go with the Marantz AV8805 for my HT because I could not pass up the deal I got from the authorized Marantz dealer. I wanted to have a preamp that had all the latest technology built inot it and be of a good brand with a good reputation(also I grew up having Marantz) so little nostalgia there. 

As for the Amp which is the MC8207 that is rated at 200W into 8 Ohms, wouldn't it give me the same 2 ch listening as to having a dedicated 2 channel McIntosh Amp that is rated at the same in power? Even though I don't think Mac has any new 2 channel amp that is 200w x 2, it's either 150x2 or 300x2 so no doubt that the 300x2 would be better than the mc8207

@caphill Do you think it is worth getting that expensive amp to drive my less expensive or entry level B&W 683’s S2? I mean I like this speakers for what they are but I would not think that they can handle the kind of amps like the Gryphon Diablo and such. What’s your take on it?
I have always wanted to have a McIntosh gear and when time came to upgrade my HT I looked no further than the MC8207 which was priced perfect for my likings, I am not that much into the blue meters for my HT so that's why I decided to get the $3000 cheaper version of the MC207. As for the preamp I went with Marantz AV8805 blind without hearing it just because I grew up with Marantz gear (wish I still had it) knowing that Marantz sound is up to what I like, plus again I am saving big over the MX122. 
I had to mention that the store I bought the gear from gave me really good discount on the Marantz and some on the Mac amp so that made the deal even sweeter.
I would put the money I saved towards building my dedicated Home Theater Room which I will start construction within a month or so and plan to finish in 3 months tops. It would be in my basement and a size of 12' x 25'ish. Can't wait to see that project finished.
@eziggy7

I am really happy with the Marantz AV8805, this thing is ridiculously good and worth the money, when it comes to processing music in stereo or 4K Blu Ray HDR whatever movies, nothing comes close to the 8805 in its price range. I had an older Onkyo receiver and thought that thing was good but when I hooked up the 8805 to the MC8207 there was a really really big difference in sound and processing and separation, clarity, you name it the 8805 will do it. I was sceptical at first and was thinking that I should've went with the MX122 but man I think IMHO the Marantz outdid the MX122 by far.

I also bought new C52 and a used/demo MC452 and it was phenomenal pairing between both but the MC452 had some problems from the get go and had to return it and bought a brand new MC462.  Still haven't unboxed but I am expecting a better sound comparing the the MC452.
@caphill 

Thank You

Now the search and demoing for some new tower speakers begins, have to find a good match for the MC462/C52. My B&W 683 S2's are not a match at all, they sound a lot better when hooked up to the MC462/C52 but I need more powerful once to get the max potential from the amp/pre combo.