EAR 834P MM/MC options help

I recently acquired an EAR 834P. There is a push button in the back to select between MM and MC with a label that has MM on top and MC at the bottom. Maybe there’s an industry standard for defining whether the button being pushed in or out corresponds to the top (MM) or (MC) but heck if I know. Anyone know whether the button pushed in is MM or MC or vice versa? Not clear in the manual.

ds4000

Yes, pushed in, I too own one. Got 3 gold lion gold pins I bought for it. Also the new JJ’s e83cc....modeled after the legendary Tesla/Teslovak E83CC.

Awesome, thanks! It does sound much better pushed out, just had to check. Next up tube rolling…

Better in the out position with what cartridge?

Ortofon Red MM according to his posts - which is why is sounds better in the MM mode.

@ds4000 tube roll away but you might also consider upgrading the cartridge to the Blue. The Red is somewhat brash. 

@ds4000 - I've owned the EAR 834P for many years although don't use it any longer but as to the tube rolling, it is a literal palette in what one can create. Just remember V1 is the input stage, V2 is the RIAA stage and V3 the Cathode follower output. The unit was designed with ECC83 tubes but any 12AX7 variant can be used with some NOS 7025 or CV4004 being quite good. Another very good tweak one can do that yields big dividends is to remove the MC/MM switch and hard wire the connections with silver wire for the MC or MM connections. This tweak is not for the novice but if one can solder, it is well worth it.

The whole point is to have fun as it is a great phono stage by a brilliant designer but built to a price point.

That front most tube, I’m told, is most responsible for the sound signature. You can save some cash by just rolling in a new tube in that spot. If money is no object, 3 gold lions or 3 of the new frame grid jj e83cc’s, based on the legendary Tesla/Teslovak.