Cornwall IV vs. Volti Rival, Razz; Razz v. 1, 2, 3 -- what changed?

Looking for efficient speakers. I had the opportunity to listen to a Cornwall IV yesterday. It was run on nice tubes (Primaluna 400 EL34s) with a bluesound node streamer/dac.

QUESTION: I'm curious if anyone has compared CW IV with Volti Rival of Razz. Thoughts?

QUESTION 2: Anyone know what changed in the Volti Razz when it moved from v. 2 to v. 3?

Thanks

128x128hilde45

I had a pair of Chorus 2 for a minute. It was great speaker with the right kind of music but needed eq for sure! I’ve had CW4 for about 5 months, currently for sale. Not that I didn’t like them just found something that suited me better. The CW4s are waaaaaay better than the older Chorus 2. No contest. They do all the things that the more audiophile stuff does “almost” but are really dynamic and easy to listen to. They just sound right. 

Having owned nearly every model in the Klipsch Heritage lineup and today with a pair of LaScala and what has become known as “underground Jubilee” in house I find it hard to accept saying a speaker is horn loaded when the woofer remains a ported design. Include horn loading a 15 inch woofer and you’ve got an actual horn loaded speaker. Otherwise and is noted on the Volti site, the speaker is a hybrid. For true horn loaded speakers look to the Volti Vittora, Klipsch LaScala Jubilee and Klipschorn among numerous other true horn loaded designs. 

@mrdecibel

Over the years, I have had hundreds of customers following my directions on doing these simple, inexpensive but somewhat time consuming procedures, and some say it is a different speaker altogether, saying the " nasties " have gone away. Woofer frames also benefit from damping. And cabinets...there are endless things one can do.

Who are "your customers" and what is your business? I’ve seen some videos explaining how to do this. I suppose I could drop close to $7k on a speaker so I could take it apart and do time consuming surgery on it...in the many different ways the speaker apparently needs help...

@kennyc
Thanks for the additional options. I’ve heard Tekton and they are too raw for me.

@vthokie83 @larryi
There is a Razz used near me that has my attention. But the common response keeps coming, viz., about the Rival and/or the Lucera. I don’t want to go the Razz route and then immediately have the desire to upgrade, so waiting seems a better path right now. Charney is interesting! Probably the reason people are suggesting Tannoy, too? (Single driver path...)

@mofojo You say the CW4’s "just sound right" but you’re getting rid of them...why?

Most important addition to My Cornwalls by far was a pair of REL S812 subwoofers. They have as much to do with modifying the mids and highs as they do with modifying bass. By playing with the crossover in the subs and that interaction with gain many wonderful things can happen with sound including the ability to mitigate upper register glare. It was a revelation.

Many listeners assume that the Cornwall’s 15 inch woofers "take care" of bass. No they don’t. It is true of many speakers that a good sub arrangement gives you many more options for sound adjustment across the spectrum no matter how much bass you think your speakers have.