Best MC Cartridge Pairing for Technics SL-1210 GAE?

Hi all,

What are some solid MC choices for the 1210gae? I am currently using an Ortofon Bronze with a Lehmann Black Cube SE II phonostage. However, I just ordered a Manley Chinook SE MK II from Upscale Audio, and so am considering upgrading my cartridge to an MC. The budget would be no more than $1200, but I’d prefer to stay around $1000.

I should also note that my entire system is tubed: I have an Octave V70se integrated with Black Box; a Prima Luna Evo 400 integrated; a Prima Luna Evo 100 all-tube DAC; and (now) a Manley Chinook all-tube phonostage. My speakers are Harbeth P3ESR-XDs (driven by the Octave) and Harbeth C7ES-3XDs (driven by the Prima Luna). I have a REL t5x with the P3s and a REL t7x with the C7s. 

Since this is my first foray into MC, I’m not sure which brands to check out. Around Chicago there are a few dealers that offer (among others): Benz, Hana, Sumiko, EAT, ClearAudio, Ortofon, Grado, Gold Note, Koetsu, Lyra, Rega, and Soundsmith.

I find the look of the wooden body cartridges very appealing, but not sure if they pair best with the 1210gae.

Any help would be very much appreciated!

undefined

Consider the Audio Technica AT33PTG/2

Value aside, it should play well with your components electrically, mechanically and most important sonically.

I’m a huge fan of tapered cantilevers.

Max your budget with the AT ART9 as noromance  suggests.

There is  a forum fan base here for the ART9.

Check the archives.

Since you have the Chinook, consider the ART XA. You have enough gain to experience a truelow output MC. Subjectively more refined than the higher output XI model.

Unfortunately, I struck out on an AT ART7 😢

Surprisingly, did not play well with my Sutherland Loco. May need to revisit sometime.

My friend uses this Dynavector with his Technics Sl-1210 GR and it is an outstanding match. His speakers are the Harbeth m30.1s. BTW, Grado is not a moving coil!

I have tried many MM and MC cartridges on my Technics table. Then I tried a DS Audio 003 optical cart. I was so smitten by this sound I then bought the DS Grand Master and I’m set forever. This is the best sound I’ve ever heard from a TT period.

Dear @jmolsberg : Yes, but it’s out @undefined budget for more than the double. I think that the ART 9 is a way solid alternative for him.

Regards and enjoy the MUSIC NOT DISTORTIONS,

R.

I also have the Art 9 and it is highly recommended. I did accidentally bend the stylus so until I find someone that can repair its inactive.

In the named price range my recommendations are:

Jico Seto Hori

Acoustical Systems Fideles

Hana ML

If you are willing to send back the Manley phonopre you can

achieve the DS Audio systems. That is the best! Period!

You  could save some money and get an LVB250 stylus for your 2M Bronze.

Every bit as worthy as the lower-mid range MC cartridges.

BTW, not that it matters but the Chinook is a jFET/tube hybrid phono stage. It's very well suited to MM cartridges with useful capacitance adjustments and high overload margin and S/N in MM mode. So I wouldn't overlook the MM option.

AR9XI is an awesome choice even with the black cube seii.  

If you have the budget a Lyra Delos (my current champ) is the best sounding cart i have owned, better than the ortofon cadenza blue, AT ART9 and Soundsmith Zephyr MIMC star ES.  

Post removed