are there any fans of the Oppo BDP-95 out there? (vs. Oppo 105D).

I bought one used.  I swear,  it sounds better than my newer Oppo BDP 105D player. Quite the bargain! 

Ted.

lovepianos

Thanks for your input.  I second your opinion that the 95 is smoother, more forgiving. More tube like.

The only issue is the fan noise, but that's not a major problem.

I've heard that dacs on the BDP-205 are excellent too,  But they are very pricey even on eBay.. Haven't heard one yet.

I remember the 95 being a little smoother with less detail. The 105 series digs deeper which tilts it towards a little clinical at times. So just depends on your system and preferences. They are both good for the price if you can find one in good shape these days. 

lovepianos

Yes- the BDP-95 uses two ES9018 DACs. While, the BDP-105D employs two ESS Sabre 32 DACs.

I was never impressed by a stock 105D fro Audio playback. Modding this player makes it better.

Happy Listening!

I think they changed to ESS Sabre DAC in the 103/105.  I prefer my 105 to the ninety series, but ymmv

I've been recording music DVDs using Mac software called Toast.  One disk can hold over 8 hours of music.  All AIFF files 24/192  It's a great way to go!

I like mine a lot. Sounds good 2-channel out into my preamp, also as a transport via SPDIF into my DAC.

I wish it had HDMI input on the front panel like the later models.

I read the oppo 95 has good power and I won’t be surprise OP if it’s better than 105D.

Used Oppo players are a great bargain. I never owned a 95, but like you I bought a new 105D, which was good. When the last batch of 205 players became available, the company reached out to me to be put on the list to purchase one. I bought a new 205 and it sounds better than the 105, so I'm happy with it. I recommended Oppo to a friend of mine. He was looking to buy a new and inexpensive cd player. He bought a used 103 in excellent condition for a cheap price. He keeps thanking me for the advice. In the past I read many articles about people using 95s and they really liked them.