Amp for my B&W 802D3s and HTM2D3

So I have a NAD M28 that is in for repair. Not totally happy with musicality of it. Have a Lyngdorf MP-40 preamp. Would upgrading to a Krell Chorus 5200 XD be a big upgrade in musicality? Any recommendations? have a REL 212/SE subwoofer. 

propofoln

If you have the physical room, I’d encourage you to consider keeping what you have now for your surrounds, center, etc. and get a separate 2 channel amplifier for your L and R. That gives you a lot more options than high end multichannel amp vendors.

For instance, you could do a pair of tube monoblocks.... will work fine when you play movies.

Sanders Magtech!

AVA has a December special!

Odyssey top of the line amps made to order.

McCormack (SMC audio) still makes amps, but are for the top %2 of purchasers, but it is some of the best gear available. 

those speakers need some sack, so make sure you get 250+W rms ,  none of this 2-10 W stuff, will be anorexic to your ears, and clip at every kick drum , guitar solo, crescendo  

if your only into jazz, light rock, at low med volumes, then the ferret fart amps may be for you  

I love audio hunting, shopping, when I bring in my Sunfire sig 600, they sometimes don’t want to hook her up, she will embarrass most of what they have in their store, minus some of the mega stuff, macs, Krell, etc, but the class H Sunfire, does sound better than the biggies in some spots.

get enough power , or you will be disappointed  

I agree with Erik. I have the exact same speakers that you have. I power the front 802D3’s with McIntosh 611 monos when listening to 2 channel. Center and surrounds powered with an older Classe 5300. Sounds great to me!

Not enough info.   I assume this is a 5.1 system, but is it mainly for HT/multichannel or is 2-channel important?   I dunno, just can’t figure out your priorities here. 

+1 for Sanders Magtech.

Have the 803 D3s.

They love current. The more the better.

Headroom, headroom, headroom.

@tomcarr

i have Energy speakers rated at 250W max, and use DNA-750 monos at 600-650W at 8 Ohms

I love headroom, the ultimate non fatiguing, effortless music.

the airy and uninterrupted program!!! I have not clipped an amp since I went to 600W rms @ 8 Ohm from Sunfire and the DNA-750s’ and also the Emotiva XPA-1 monos at 500W at 8 Ohm. Even my short lived rotel rb-1090 never clipped that was a wicked sounding amp, had amazing bass 380 at 8 720W at 4 and stable below that.

all my other amps and receivers clipped below 250W rms, all of them !

never again will i use any amp lower than 500W rms. You need the headroom to easily give the power needed when asked to do so. even if you think its not clipping, most amps playing music at certain frequencies are strained by having less than the power needed for program music.

power!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sg14jNbBb-8

Sanders magtech? How is this better than mono blocks. They produce enough power for 803D3s?

1 magtech is 500W rms at 8 ohm and 900W at 4 Ohm, more if your house supplied enough power for the amp, say a 240 line.

the magtech is one helluva amplifier, you may need only 1.

Roger has a 30 day in home trial, if you don't like it, send back, im sure you will be more than satisfied with the power this amp will throw.

Roger has monoblocks also.

Magtech Monos.

1600W rms at 8 Ohm  2000W rms at 4 ohm. and if you have enough electricity in your house, it is stable to 1 Ohm.

That 2 channel amp is a beast. 

As I stated earlier, I have McIntosh 611’s and they work well with B&W speakers. The 462 will have the same sonic signature. The 802’s dip down to 3 ohms in the bass region. For that reason I use the 4 ohm taps.

Ok. Been checking into options. So check these out.  What about 

1. luxman M10x

2. gryphon 300 diablo

Any of these a better option for my 802 D3s, using my NAD m28 for center htm2d3 and in ceiling surrounds 

Luxman M10X is very refined and offers a lot of power to tame the 802's woofers. I think the Diablo 300 would be a better fit. It is a powerful beast!!

If I was you I’d totally audition the new Atma-Sphere GaN amp for your 802D3s. I’ve got a lotta experience with the 80?D3s and know their sound character well, and if I owned them I’d RUN to hear this amp with them. MacIntosh? Only if you want your speakers to sound like warm mush. I worked for Magnolia and heard B&W with Mac ad-nauseam and no, just no. Do a trial with Ralph’s new GaN amp and I bet there’s no looking back. When he listens to his own system with this amp over his own OTL tube amps, well, that says a crap ton to me. Best of luck.

Here we go with the McIntosh hate.  McIntosh is not in favor with this group.  I have B&W’s and McIntosh and they do not sound like mush. I would listen to all and make your decision.  We all hear differently and like different sound signatures. The M10x is very good but is quite a bit more expensive.

I went and auditioned the B&W MC462 and the Luxman. I thought the Mac sounded way better than the Luxman. Fuller sound with better bass and low end. It was Sonus Faber speakers, but preferred the MC462