Am I right for this forum?

I’ve been an Audiogon member for some years now; I remember (fondly) "millercarbon," for example, which will mean something to some of you. And I’ve been a lover of audio equipment since high school—so, for over 50 years (I graduated in 1973). And yet...more and more, I find myself alienated from this forum, even though I do still read it regularly.

I do have what I consider a very "high-fidelity" system. I’ve written a very long account of my "audio journey," complete with many photos, but not "published" it on this site. I’m also a member of our local audio club, which includes several very well-heeled members who have systems costing more than most homes (one of them owns equipment valued at nearly a million dollars, but that’s just the tip of the iceberg: his system is housed in a separate structure purpose-built for it that cost well over a million). I play cello and guitar; my wife plays piano, my daughter piano and violin. We play those instruments in the same room occupied by my main audio system, and so I can attest to the "fidelity" of that system’s reproduction.

And yet...my system cost me less than $3,000 in total. I don’t lust after any particular "upgrade," even though I read reviews and all the many accounts of improvements in "SQ" documented in this forum.

So...am I an "audiophile," or not? Do I belong here, or not?

I’m listening right now to a wonderful bit of Mozart. I also love Tool. And Christy Moore. And Eva Cassidy. And so many others. I agree with Nietzsche: without music, life would be a mistake. But am I an audiophile? Do I belong on this forum?

Any sympathy here? Anyone else feel alienated from the "audiophile community" despite loving the miracle of audio technology?

128x128snilf

@uncledemp ....Oh, I dunno, UncaDee *tease* I don’t think the various levels of ’density’, or for that matter, ’xtremisms’ are that much greater than the general pop.

For all the pixel space I turned to waste ’round here, no entity has yet to mention meeting outside ’wherever’ for the ’back2back/10/turn/Suvive’ routine.

If challenged I demand the choice of armament.

Surgical tubing rubber bands

Best you can do is bury the combatant with them. ;)

Cost does not matter. What makes you happy matters. I always looked for gear that would make me listen to music more. Some gear sounded nice, but for some reason I ended turning it off after couple of hours. Eventually I built system I can be listening to for hours. I don’t care if it has ’flat’ frequency response or sounds ’neutral’ or ’warm’ or resolves last possible detail. It sounds great to ME with music I prefer.

Having said that, all local high end dealers hate me since my criteria make them cringe. They told me to change music I listen to since their $$$ gear did not play it well. Seriously LMAO.

If you think high priced cables and specialty power cords actually make a difference, they yes, you'll fit right in here. 

Doesn't matter. A million-dollar system in a million-dollar room, won't should as real as your guitar! 

Enter and enjoy...you will have a good time. I love music ,equipment and reading, the answers to questions. Welcome ,my friend......