Am I right for this forum?

I’ve been an Audiogon member for some years now; I remember (fondly) "millercarbon," for example, which will mean something to some of you. And I’ve been a lover of audio equipment since high school—so, for over 50 years (I graduated in 1973). And yet...more and more, I find myself alienated from this forum, even though I do still read it regularly.

I do have what I consider a very "high-fidelity" system. I’ve written a very long account of my "audio journey," complete with many photos, but not "published" it on this site. I’m also a member of our local audio club, which includes several very well-heeled members who have systems costing more than most homes (one of them owns equipment valued at nearly a million dollars, but that’s just the tip of the iceberg: his system is housed in a separate structure purpose-built for it that cost well over a million). I play cello and guitar; my wife plays piano, my daughter piano and violin. We play those instruments in the same room occupied by my main audio system, and so I can attest to the "fidelity" of that system’s reproduction.

And yet...my system cost me less than $3,000 in total. I don’t lust after any particular "upgrade," even though I read reviews and all the many accounts of improvements in "SQ" documented in this forum.

So...am I an "audiophile," or not? Do I belong here, or not?

I’m listening right now to a wonderful bit of Mozart. I also love Tool. And Christy Moore. And Eva Cassidy. And so many others. I agree with Nietzsche: without music, life would be a mistake. But am I an audiophile? Do I belong on this forum?

Any sympathy here? Anyone else feel alienated from the "audiophile community" despite loving the miracle of audio technology?

128x128snilf

@jastralfu

I was wondering if anyone would get that.

Yeah, I think hearing natural, real instruments from an acoustically good hall will always trump unnatural steely processed sound. Kind of the point… 

@snilf  the # of responses to your post should indicate you belong on the forum.  Lots of responses and opinions. 

Are you an audiophile?  Ask for the definition and you’ll likely get as many as you got responses to this post. 

Based on your love of music and that you can make music with the talent you have playing instruments and the obvious interest you have in enjoying listing to recordings of songs, music, that checks a lot of audiophile boxes.  The fact that you love music but you’ll still pick tracks that highlight your systems sound over music you already know, like, that’s for sure an audiophile thing, check.  The time you have spent building out a network of fellow audiophiles, check.  The price you paid for your gear is irrelevant, from the sounds of it you took advantage of opportunities that presented themselves, allowing you to collect some great gear that you love, with little expense, relative to the quality of the system, check. Money spent isn’t the precursor to being an audiophile.  

The definition of what makes you an audiophile is subjective, just like comparing 2 sets of speakers, both can be incredible speakers, they’ll have a sound signature, if they are your speakers, the only person they need to sound good to, is you. 

I’ve cycled through gear, spent way more than I would ever want to admit to someone who isn’t into this hobby, obsessed over the equipment I’ve bought, what I want to buy, had my family question my sanity more than a couple times.  That doesn’t make me anymore or less of an Audiophile than you.  What I think makes me one, since I was little, I always was really particular on how music sounded when I listened, I could hear differences others couldn’t or that didn’t matter to them.  I’ve always wanted to find that perfect sound, to me.  I’m still searching…. 

OP, of course you belong here. Room would be pretty damn boring if it only had one kind of person in it

I came to Agon without a working system.  I don't have much selection in this town.  I kept some stuff I got from my friend.  Modified pro stuff. I started there. Also had some Klipsch RF3.

So I got lots of help here and reading around.  I enjoy my system now.  Any mistakes along the way were not major.  I will not be changing anything unless I move to a smaller place.  Yes, I stick around, whatever I am.  I hope you do too.