Will Changing my 100 Watt Tube Amp to a 200 Watt SS Amp Solve My Problem?

Hello All,  I have a 100 watt Audio Research VT100 mk II amp, with an Audio Research LS-25 preamp.  My speakers are relatively low in sensitivity, and I find that I must turn the volume up to 3 o'clock on the preamp to get enough volume for a loud listening experience.  When I do that, I am introducing more background noise.

I would like to achieve a quieter noise floor.  I am also curious about the limits of the 100 wpc amp with the Mira Monitors.  Would an older Krell 200 watt class A amp "control" the speakers better?  If so, what are the benefits of this?  There are a few amps on this site that caught my eye, all about the same value as my amp, so I can potentially make a move with very little cost.  Is this a good idea? How much wattage increase is necessary to get a significant enough difference?  Would a jump to 150 watt solid state be sufficient?

here are the 3 amps that caught my eye:

Ayre: https://www.audiogon.com/listings/solid-state-ayre-acoustics-v-5xe-amplifier-2016-02-05-amplifiers-h...

Krell: https://www.audiogon.com/listings/solid-state-krell-ksa-250-2016-02-14-amplifiers-91754-monterey-par...

BAT:
https://www.audiogon.com/listings/solid-state-balanced-audio-technology-bat-vk-250se-bat-pak-2channe...

You can see my complete system here if you want to know more about the other components:  https://systems.audiogon.com/systems/5421

Thanks!
Mark
marktomaras
Mark, What this says to me is that your issue is with the noise floor of your phono stage. With the cartridge (TT) disconnected from the phono stage the noise you are hearing is inherrent with the design or the mechanical condition of the phono stage.

This really has nothing to do with, in an absolute sense, the gain issues. You can lower or raise the gain but this will not remove the noise issue. If you lower the gain from the phono stage but compensate by increasing the signal level with the volume control you have a net zero change. If the noise is a substantial issue for you after you have adjusted all of the gain possibilities you need to reconsider your use of this phono stage. 

BTW, FWIW, I really appreciate those folks who can rise above the obvious implications of my 'handle'. Says much more about them than me
I think. 

Well, I wonder if the Whest is a fine unit, but just doesn't fit well with my system?  Or if it is a fine sounding unit that happens to have a noise floor that I just don't care for.

Any suggestions on a super quiet phono stage?

The Audio Research PH 6 has the same price tag, so conceivably I can sell my Whest and purchase a used PH 6 for about the same price.  58db of gain seems about perfect, as long as it's quiet.  Plus it is a tube model, which should be a nice thing to fit in with the 2 other ARC tube amps in my system.  But is it quieter than the Whest, that is the question.  

Mark, I don't know how assessible the folks at Whest are but my next move would be to contact their service department or technician and set out the issues to them and see what response you draw, if any. 
Newbee,
I think it’s time to change your handle to old pro!
+1. Excellent suggestions by Newbee!
Interestingly, but probably inconsequential, is that the unused CD input has a little hum to it at full volume, whereas the other inputs do not. This is just a little side note.
That sounds like normal behavior. It can be expected, especially with high impedance inputs such as those provided by your preamp, that small amounts of noise and/or hum will be picked up by unconnected inputs. Although it is essentially a non-issue, if you wanted to get rid of this hum you could purchase RCA shorting plugs from one of several eBay sellers who offer such things, and insert two of them into the RCA jacks for that input while setting the input mode to single-ended for that input. Or you could insert those shorting plugs as stated, and also jumper pins 1 and 3 together on the corresponding XLR connectors. Doing that would eliminate the hum regardless of whether the input mode is selected to be single-ended or balanced.

Regarding the more significant issue, I understand that noise is clearly audible at the listening position in phono mode when the volume control is set at max. But based on what has been said I’m somewhat uncertain as to how loud and how objectionable the noise is at the listening position, with no music playing, when the volume control is set to the highest position you would normally set it to when listening to music. That is really what matters.

In that regard, these two statements in update 2 appear to conflict:
I lowered the gain on the phono stage from 55 to 50db. The theory is that I can turn the volume high without much issue on the preamp. I did this, and indeed, with the lower gain on the Whest, I had to raise the volume quite high to get a loud experience, but I was not maxed out.
50db is working, though I am still at the top of the volume control.
As I say, what matters is the noise level, as perceived from the listening position, when the volume control is at the highest setting you would normally use.

Also, to be sure it's clear, keep in mind that phono sources are inherently much more susceptible to noise issues than both digital sources and non-phono analog sources (e.g. tuners), due to the vastly lower signal levels that phono cartridges put out, compared to other sources, and the vastly higher gains those signals are subjected to compared to the outputs of other sources. Any noise introduced to or generated by the circuitry at or near the input of a phono stage, and/or subsequent amplification circuitry within the phono stage, will be much greater in relation to the magnitude of the signal at those points than the same amount of noise would be in relation to the magnitude of a signal provided by other sources.

But if this noise does in fact occur to an objectionable degree at the listening position at normally used settings of the volume control, and you have not been able to reduce it to acceptable levels after trying various phono stage gains, it would seem that you’ve probably isolated the issue to the phono stage. Which is surprising, given its reputation for quiet performance and given the not particularly low 0.6 mv rating of your cartridge.

Although I’d feel more confident in that conclusion if shorting plugs were placed on the inputs of the phono stage when the turntable is disconnected, rather than leaving its inputs unconnected. Assuming you don’t have any shorting plugs on hand, though, what might be worthwhile would be re-assessing the noise with the turntable disconnected and with the phono stage’s input loading set to its lowest possible value, which I’ve seen indicated as being 50 ohms. And for that matter, let us know what loading choice you’ve been using with the Delos.
Any suggestions on a super quiet phono stage?
The Herron VTPH-2 ($3650) which I purchased not long ago is incredibly/totally/absolutely silent in my setup with the 0.5 mv cartridge I am using, as well as being wonderful sonically (see the many comments that have appeared here about it in past threads), as well as providing much more versatility than the single gain setting of the ARC phono stage you mentioned. And Keith Herron is an absolute treasure to deal with.

Best regards,
-- Al

Mark, I forgot to mention, be careful thinking about the wonders of a tube phono stage, ARC or not. The sonics are quite often great but noise, not so much. When I think about tubed phone stages I always think of high output MC cartridges. Low output MC's can be a real challenge. I used to have a love affair with Benz cartridges but that was quite a few years ago.
Thank you Newbee & Almarg.  I really value your input and time.  If you find yourself in south Florida, you are invited for a listen and a drink!

I sent a note to Whest to see if they can help me to determine if my unit is working as it should.

To be fair, I am nitpicking a bit here.  In truth, at normal listening levels of anything under 90db, the analog sounds perfect.  It's only when I am rockin out at levels of 93db and higher that I can allow myself to be slightly annoyed by the noise, and that is only during quiet passages or between tracks.

Nitpicking or not, this has been an educational experience thus far. I learned my amp and preamp are just fine!  I love the sound from them, and I am pleased that switching to solid state is off the table.

It would be interesting to audition an ARC PH6 or a similarly priced alternative to the Whest, just for the sake of comparison, but we will see what Whest says first.

Any thoughts on the Parasound Halo JC 3 phono preamplifier?  It has the balanced outputs that I want to keep and 68db of gain, which would allow me to avoid being at the top of the volume control.  I believe it is designed by the same designer as my cartridge, so that may be a plus.  Do you think it may be quieter than the Whest?
Hi Mark,

For the record, the "JC" who designed the JC3 and the "JC" who designed the Delos are different people.  John Curl (a distinguished electronics designer) and Jonathan Carr (a distinguished cartridge designer), respectively.

I have no specific knowledge, though, of how the performance of the JC3 may compare with that of your Whest.

Best regards,
-- Al

Great thread, marktomaras...typically reliable advice from both Al and 'newbee'!  ;-)

-Sam

So, does this experiment show that the preamp is quiet and the phono stage is noisy?  Or, is it still the preamp somehow, and the higher gain of the phono stage is bringing out the inherent noise in the preamp somehow?
That's what I was saying earlier...

BTW a bit of hum on the DCP input is likely coming from the CDP itself.
When your system is struggling for lack of power nothing will scratch that itch better than a Krell KSA amp! 
A good high current amplifier ,a 250 Pass labs is a nice choice Plinius,
Even better Vitus,Gryphon ,depending on your budget,son of Ampzilla great buy
Good luck let us know what uou do.there are many good products out there.
I owned an LS-25 and the 200w version of the amp, but also heard the VT100 with it....should have a gain boost on the preamp...should give you plenty of gain unless something is wrong?
The Job 225 amp has an input sensitivity of .75v and gain of 35db.
Problem solved?
Post removed 
Hi Mark,

I have had a similar problem with an Audio Note Tube Preamp I introduced into system to audition. I heard noise and with the volume cranked diminished volume compared and contrasted to the Intergrated Amp I was previously using just as a preamp sending signal to 2 250watt amplifiers, (Acurus A250 and Rotel RB1572). Noise increased when volume turned up. For me it came down to gain issue. Did not purchase the Audio Note and put in a restored vintage Superphon CD Maxx dual mono volume control and separate power supply. No noise and great volume. simple design.
I am a SS man.  I have the Devialet 200 (and the nuPrime IDA-8 and IDA-16) and it is really the quietest amps I have owned.  The devialet has a very nice phonostage.  The Devialet is my exit amp.