Will Changing my 100 Watt Tube Amp to a 200 Watt SS Amp Solve My Problem?

Hello All,  I have a 100 watt Audio Research VT100 mk II amp, with an Audio Research LS-25 preamp.  My speakers are relatively low in sensitivity, and I find that I must turn the volume up to 3 o'clock on the preamp to get enough volume for a loud listening experience.  When I do that, I am introducing more background noise.

I would like to achieve a quieter noise floor.  I am also curious about the limits of the 100 wpc amp with the Mira Monitors.  Would an older Krell 200 watt class A amp "control" the speakers better?  If so, what are the benefits of this?  There are a few amps on this site that caught my eye, all about the same value as my amp, so I can potentially make a move with very little cost.  Is this a good idea? How much wattage increase is necessary to get a significant enough difference?  Would a jump to 150 watt solid state be sufficient?

here are the 3 amps that caught my eye:

Ayre: https://www.audiogon.com/listings/solid-state-ayre-acoustics-v-5xe-amplifier-2016-02-05-amplifiers-h...

Krell: https://www.audiogon.com/listings/solid-state-krell-ksa-250-2016-02-14-amplifiers-91754-monterey-par...

BAT:
https://www.audiogon.com/listings/solid-state-balanced-audio-technology-bat-vk-250se-bat-pak-2channe...

You can see my complete system here if you want to know more about the other components:  https://systems.audiogon.com/systems/5421

Thanks!
Mark
marktomaras

Showing 10 responses by almarg

Hi Ralph,

Those were exactly my points! Although if I am recalling Mark’s previous thread(s) about the noise issue correctly, the noise performance of the phono stage is also suspect, as well as the performance of the preamplifier.

Best regards,
-- Al

Ahendler got it right.
Not sure about that, Ralph.  His statement that:
You need either a preamp with more voltage output or a power amp with higher input sensitivity.
... does not appear to be consistent with what I said in my post above, and I therefore disagree.

Best regards,
-- Al

Hi Mark,

If the noise only occurs when the volume control is turned up to a relatively high setting, it means that the noise is being introduced into the signal path "ahead of" ("upstream of") the volume control. A more powerful amp will often (although certainly not always) provide higher gain (the relation between its output voltage and its input voltage), which would cause you to utilize the volume control at lower settings. However the resulting noise level would be no different, since the amp is "downstream" of the volume control.

Unless, that is, the noise is being coupled into the upstream part of the signal path BY the power amp. But as I recall you’ve probably addressed that possibility already, by physically relocating the components in your setup.

Regards,
-- Al

Am I wrong in feeling funny about 3 o’clock on the volume to get a rockin’ experience? Seems like the high dial position is pushing the ability of the preamp too far.
No, I doubt that is the case, Mark. In fact many believe that having gains and sensitivities in a system such that the volume control is used at high settings within its range is to be preferred, assuming of course that there is never a desire to turn it up beyond the top of its range. The philosophy being that with at least some designs doing so will minimize whatever sonic effects may be introduced by the volume control mechanism itself.

Regards,
-- Al

Get a SS amp with proper input to match your pre amp and I assure you, the issue will be gone.
Matt, sonics **might** be better, but the noise issue (which the OP has stated is the main concern) will not be gone. See the posts above by me and by Ralph/Atmasphere.

Also, before going to a more powerful amplifier it would be prudent to research how much power the particular speakers can handle without their sonics degrading, or worse. The only relevant spec I can readily find for the Rockport Mira Monitors is a minimum amplifier power recommendation of 50 watts.

Regards,
-- Al

Hi Mark,

I have no experience with the Whest phono stage, but based on all that I’ve read about it I too would expect it to be very quiet with a Lyra Delos, which is rated at 0.6 mv output under the standard test conditions. And since the phono stage is solid state, noisy tubes are not an issue with it.

Also, the circuitry in the front end of your ARC LS25 preamp, up to and including both the gain select circuitry and the volume control circuitry, is all solid state (as can be seen in the schematic at arcdb.ws). So noisy tubes are not an issue there as well.

And you’ve already done significant re-shuffling of how your components and cables are physically positioned, to minimize any noise coupling that may be occurring as a result of how everything is positioned.

So regarding the noise issue I’m pretty much out of ideas at this point. Other than to suggest that if you already haven’t you try unplugging all of the digital stuff from AC power, to verify that digital noise is not radiating or otherwise coupling into the analog front end.

Regards,
-- Al

I don't know the answer to that question, Mark.  In part because I have no experience with integrateds in recent times, and never in that kind of price range.  And in part because we haven't been able to arrive at an understanding of what is presently causing the noise issue.

Best regards,
-- Al

AL, What speaker manufacturer does not say this..?? ROFL.
(please dont answer that)

All I was saying is that Mark should try a SS amp (of course one that will drive the speakers) .
And all I was saying is that:
... before going to a more powerful amplifier it would be prudent to research how much power the particular speakers can handle without their sonics degrading, or worse. The only relevant spec I can readily find for the Rockport Mira Monitors is a minimum amplifier power recommendation of 50 watts.
My comment being inspired in part by someone else's mention of 400 watt monoblocks, in the post just above the post you made yesterday.

Glad my comment provided you with some amusement.

Regards,
-- Al
Newbee,
I think it’s time to change your handle to old pro!
+1. Excellent suggestions by Newbee!
Interestingly, but probably inconsequential, is that the unused CD input has a little hum to it at full volume, whereas the other inputs do not. This is just a little side note.
That sounds like normal behavior. It can be expected, especially with high impedance inputs such as those provided by your preamp, that small amounts of noise and/or hum will be picked up by unconnected inputs. Although it is essentially a non-issue, if you wanted to get rid of this hum you could purchase RCA shorting plugs from one of several eBay sellers who offer such things, and insert two of them into the RCA jacks for that input while setting the input mode to single-ended for that input. Or you could insert those shorting plugs as stated, and also jumper pins 1 and 3 together on the corresponding XLR connectors. Doing that would eliminate the hum regardless of whether the input mode is selected to be single-ended or balanced.

Regarding the more significant issue, I understand that noise is clearly audible at the listening position in phono mode when the volume control is set at max. But based on what has been said I’m somewhat uncertain as to how loud and how objectionable the noise is at the listening position, with no music playing, when the volume control is set to the highest position you would normally set it to when listening to music. That is really what matters.

In that regard, these two statements in update 2 appear to conflict:
I lowered the gain on the phono stage from 55 to 50db. The theory is that I can turn the volume high without much issue on the preamp. I did this, and indeed, with the lower gain on the Whest, I had to raise the volume quite high to get a loud experience, but I was not maxed out.
50db is working, though I am still at the top of the volume control.
As I say, what matters is the noise level, as perceived from the listening position, when the volume control is at the highest setting you would normally use.

Also, to be sure it's clear, keep in mind that phono sources are inherently much more susceptible to noise issues than both digital sources and non-phono analog sources (e.g. tuners), due to the vastly lower signal levels that phono cartridges put out, compared to other sources, and the vastly higher gains those signals are subjected to compared to the outputs of other sources. Any noise introduced to or generated by the circuitry at or near the input of a phono stage, and/or subsequent amplification circuitry within the phono stage, will be much greater in relation to the magnitude of the signal at those points than the same amount of noise would be in relation to the magnitude of a signal provided by other sources.

But if this noise does in fact occur to an objectionable degree at the listening position at normally used settings of the volume control, and you have not been able to reduce it to acceptable levels after trying various phono stage gains, it would seem that you’ve probably isolated the issue to the phono stage. Which is surprising, given its reputation for quiet performance and given the not particularly low 0.6 mv rating of your cartridge.

Although I’d feel more confident in that conclusion if shorting plugs were placed on the inputs of the phono stage when the turntable is disconnected, rather than leaving its inputs unconnected. Assuming you don’t have any shorting plugs on hand, though, what might be worthwhile would be re-assessing the noise with the turntable disconnected and with the phono stage’s input loading set to its lowest possible value, which I’ve seen indicated as being 50 ohms. And for that matter, let us know what loading choice you’ve been using with the Delos.
Any suggestions on a super quiet phono stage?
The Herron VTPH-2 ($3650) which I purchased not long ago is incredibly/totally/absolutely silent in my setup with the 0.5 mv cartridge I am using, as well as being wonderful sonically (see the many comments that have appeared here about it in past threads), as well as providing much more versatility than the single gain setting of the ARC phono stage you mentioned. And Keith Herron is an absolute treasure to deal with.

Best regards,
-- Al

Hi Mark,

For the record, the "JC" who designed the JC3 and the "JC" who designed the Delos are different people.  John Curl (a distinguished electronics designer) and Jonathan Carr (a distinguished cartridge designer), respectively.

I have no specific knowledge, though, of how the performance of the JC3 may compare with that of your Whest.

Best regards,
-- Al