Why don't we tire of music?

So, there’s a lot of smart folk’s on this site, and I’ve been wondering why people never grow tired of listening to music. For example, we don’t read the same book over and over, nor do we watch the same TV show or movie over and over.  But, we never get tired of listening to the same music.  Why is this?  What is it in our mentally that allows this to happen?  Just curious...  Thanks!

quincy

“Brazil” Great movie! Thanks for mentioning it. I need to watch it again. Over thanksgiving we were in Michigan. My brother in law has a decent home theater, and we watched “Young Frankenstein “. Still funny after all these years.

There are many books I've read multiple times and movies and TV series I've seen multiple times, and they're new experiences every time. Music is more abstract, so it can lend itself to more repetitions, perhaps? 

Here’s what Google Gemini has to say about it, some things I think most would intuit:

There are several reasons why humans find music so captivating and why we enjoy listening to the same songs repeatedly:

Emotional Connection: Music has a powerful ability to evoke emotions. The combination of melody, rhythm, harmony, and lyrics can trigger a wide range of feelings, from joy and excitement to sadness and nostalgia. When we listen to a song that resonates with our current emotional state, it can be incredibly comforting and validating.

Reward System Activation: Listening to music activates the brain's reward system, releasing dopamine, a neurotransmitter associated with pleasure and well-being. This creates a positive association with the music, making us want to hear it again to experience those same rewarding feelings.

Familiarity and Comfort: Repeatedly listening to a song creates a sense of familiarity and comfort. The brain enjoys predictable patterns, and the repetition of the same musical elements can be soothing and calming. This is especially true for songs associated with positive memories or experiences.

Nostalgia and Identity: Music can be a powerful trigger for memories. Hearing a song from our childhood, a past relationship, or a specific event can transport us back in time and evoke vivid memories and emotions. This nostalgic connection can be deeply meaningful and contribute to our sense of identity.

Musical Learning and Appreciation: Repeated listening can also enhance our appreciation for music. As we listen to a song multiple times, we can pick up on new details, appreciate the intricacies of the composition, and develop a deeper understanding of the music. This process of learning and discovery can contribute to a richer musical experience.

It's important to note that not everyone enjoys listening to the same songs repeatedly. Some individuals have a strong preference for novelty and may constantly seek out new music to explore. Ultimately, our individual preferences for music are influenced by a complex interplay of factors, including our personality, cultural background, and life experiences.