Whats on your turntable tonight?

For me its the first or very early LP's of:
Allman Brothers - "Allman Joys" "Idyllwild South"
Santana - "Santana" 200 g reissue
Emerson Lake and Palmer - "Emerson Lake and Palmer"
and,
Beethoven - "Piano Concerto No. 4 in G Major" Rudolph Serkin/Ozawa/BSO
slipknot1
The Velvet Underground “Loaded”, T-Rex “Electric Warrior”, Big Star “Radio City” - Big Star, such an influential band. Alex Chilton was a huge talent & way ahead of his time... slinky eclectic vibe last night w/TVU & T-Rex
The Beatles "MMT" from the mono box

I was gonna write some new fascinating, insightful discoveries about this lp but, in the end, I cannot. I always really liked a lot of the songs but there was never any sense of cohesiveness, taking the lp as a whole. Then I remembered the title....Magical Mystery Tour. Now I wonder why I spent so much time thinking about it?
Spiritofradio - The band Stryder that you mentioned is different that the English Band Strider. Look up Strider "Misunderstood" and the 1st album Strider  "Exposed", with the song Esters Place on it. There isn't any correlation between them and Van Halen.  As for Van Halen other than the Sammy Hagar years, they were just like any other bubble gum radio spot music band.

Also check out Hard Stuff  - Bullet Proof and their 2nd album Bolex Dementia. There original band name was Bullet until they changed labels.

I don't know if you are familiar with Gary Moore's band Skid Row that was out long before the Hair band Skid Row. Gary Moore that when he was 18 years old did an album called 34 hour and his album Skid Row. This was the dawning of a great guitarist that traversed several genre of music and did them really well.

@730waters,

On your point above regarding Van Halen. I’m pretty sure I get where you’re coming from.....although, I’d disagree on VH 1st lp...which is, IMO, one of the best pure rock debuts of all time.
("S/T" & "Mean Street" are the original line-up's best lps, IMO)

The Sammy Hagar years...I’ve always enjoyed, yet I never owned them. but Sammy IS one of THE great rock singers and his performances when he fronted VH where great!

As for Gary Moore, his last lp, a live lp is coming out soon.
During the time of the 1st Van Halen album, there were so many new rock bands that changed the whole structure of Rock music. You had Judas Priest "Sad Wings of Destiny", Yesterday and Todays 1st album, Ronnie Montrose, Edgar Winters, Led Zeppelin Black Sabbath and many other band that took music to the music to the next level. A lot of this music was feel good music. When you listened to these albums they made you want to get up and become part of the music. You had the Scorpions, UFO, Riot, Granicus that all had the most incredible technology for mixing and engineering their albums that we were treated to some of the great recordings that we enjoy today. 
Drive-By Truckers "American Band"

IMO, when we start talking about Judas Priest, etc.. that changes to more of a (metal) category as well that should be considered. Not sure about any distinction you are trying to make between VH. JP, and so on regarding, "Feel Good Music"
@730waters, Sorry I had the right band, I’m just a bad speller. OK , nothing to do with Van Halen correct but except that, notwithstanding Eddie’s unquestionable gifts and innovative playing style, the first Van Halen album (1978) is absolutely derived from that first Strider record (1973) down to identical riffs and tones. Van Halen had been playing together around Pasadena for years before their break and first record. I would bet the farm that they or their handlers absorbed the obscure Strider album, probably early on. I’ve learned over the years about so much of this cynical rip off behavior in pop music, which is, exactly what Van Halen is, fun pop music that quickly descended into one of the most vulgar abominations our culture has ever seen.

Don’t get me wrong, Sammy is one of my heros and eddie’s talent is undeniable but all the crap and corruption-maybe the best example of commercially promoted lifestyle over music/ form over substance.

OK, spirit/waters....I'm kind of gettin' it now. Except for "Mean Street" errrh. I've meant to say "Fair Warning".  How does one account for that?

I've been referring to the VH lp.."Fair Warning" as "Mean Street", which is a song on "Fair Warning". I apologize!
I'd rather be called out than, hung out to dry.

I guess a lingering aspect of my latest illness?
Phil Woods Quartet  - Woodlore  - Analogue Productions 200g 33rpm  - very very good,  SQ- EX,  vinyl - EX, performance B+
@slaw I definitely wish I had more of it, I find it to be consistently excellent. I am definitely a big fan 
You must have gotten an early start, you have spun a bunch of great records already today! 

Art Blakey and his Jazz Messengers  - Drum Suite - Impex Records  - SQ EX+ , Perf EX,  vinyl not as quiet as my other Impex records 
@slaw, oh man I’ve been doing that same thing more and more lately.  Just the other day I even made the gross goof of referring to permanent waves as spirit of radio....
I really enjoy that band spirit. Thanks

Thurston Moore / Demolished thoughts 
Waters,   Right on with your reference to Bullet/Hard Stuff.  That is really really good stuff.  I always thought they had to change their name for the US market because another band had the bullet name tied up.  
And Gary.  Oh yeah!!!   Sometimes I have my own personal Rory Gallagher/ Gary Moore festival.  love his stuff.  Thanks @slaw for the heads up about the live album. Will watch for it.  
@slaw I knew you meant Fair Warning,  and I agree, IMO Fair Warning is by far and away is VH's best album. Exponentially their best.

Modest Mouse  - Lonesome Crowded West  - exponentially MM's best album as well but I remember every time I put on the 2xLP reissue copy I have of this phenomenal album what a schitt mastering and pressing it is. 
Saccharine Trust "the great one is dead"
Roy Montgomery "Scenes From The South Island"
@big_greg  I take it that MFSL of DS Comunique is the recent reissue? How is it? I want all of them but I think I have 3 or 4 copies of each of DS's albums (mostly original pressings in mediocre condition) and I keep wondering if the new Mofis are good enough to justify the investment? 
Yes, it's the new one. I think they sound fantastic. I bought all four and have listened to them all except for Love Over Gold. 
Fair Warning- Definitely!

Knopfler- Privateering - in heavy rotation
Various- The Sound of Jazz- in heavy rotation
Aretha  - Aretha’s Gold
Sinatra- The Voice
Brubeck - Time Out
Janis Ian- Breaking Silence
Armstrong - Satchmo’s Golden Favorites

@big_greg  I guess I will bite the bullet and pick at least one of them up to give it the old college try 

Johnny Cash  - Original Sun Singles '55-'58 - Sundazed reissue  - Excellent!  Extremely quiet vinyl, SQ EX +, 3D imaging 
I waited until I heard MD had sold out, then ordered S/T & Communique through AS. Got an email today that they just shipped.
spirit, I guess the major goof I continuously do is call my daughter by my little sisters' name.