Whats on your turntable tonight?

For me its the first or very early LP's of:
Allman Brothers - "Allman Joys" "Idyllwild South"
Santana - "Santana" 200 g reissue
Emerson Lake and Palmer - "Emerson Lake and Palmer"
and,
Beethoven - "Piano Concerto No. 4 in G Major" Rudolph Serkin/Ozawa/BSO
slipknot1
I own The Beatles Mono Box. I passed on the stereo box. For comparison, I thought when an opportunity to acquire a pristine Blue Box (UK) came up, I went for it.

I have heard one lp from the (Blue Box) previously on what was then a well known system. It is "For Sale", which is probably known as the lesser quality recording of The Beatles lps.

So, this is the one I'm starting with.
From the beginning, the Mono lp sounds compressed/muffled by comparison. This is really surprising to me. But, I really don’t have a lot of experience with the Beatles records. The BB lp sounds open and current.

The bass is almost non-existent on either. Ringo may have taken a day off??? ha ha.

This is really an awakening for me. I had no expectation of such a difference.

So for ultimate disclosure, I'm using my SoundSmith Sussurro MkII on both records with the mono switch on the phono-pre-amp.
Enough comparisons for this day.

Tom Petty "Hypnotic Eye"  the Chris Bellman mastered version
@slaw Patty Griffin is up next on the 8th and I lucked into killer seats...I fully expect her to WOW all of us.....she is so good...

I have some dub going....
Just as an observation I do find it quite amusing that the OP,s of the most frequented and active music threads are not actually active any longer on said threads.

My streaming thread an exception but that's just driven by myself and too proud to let it fade into ignominy.
@uberwaltz - I agree. It's curious. Where did the OP go? Considering this thread is 15 years old, Who knows?

@slipknot1 - You still out there?
Lyn Stanley -- Lost in Romance
Flawless performance, expertly recorded and engineered. Very clean sound at 45 rpm.
Use my Sennheisers for:

1. Khachaturian "Piano Concerto" Alicia de Larrocha
2. Loren Stillman - Like a Magic Kiss
3. The Dream Thief · Shai Maestro 4. The Sun Whose Ray (Venice / 2006) · Keith Jarrett

After all:

Listen one more time to Annie Lennox via youtube
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=45LTdsV1cyQ&list=RD_Az4dOgFLC0&index=6

and Ray Manzarek

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3deQXzV-qTk
Last night:

Bill Evans "Interplay"
Wayne Shorter "JuJu"
Steely Dan "Aja"

Was so involved I forgot to post.

Michel Legrand - Legrand Sings; picked this up at a flea market for $1, and it was a very pleasant surprise.  Who knew he could scat?
Miles Davis - Tutu
Daryl Hall and John Oates - "Rock and Soul Part 1"

Funny, the record is labeled Side 1 and Side A. No side 2 or Side B.
Journey to the Center of the Earth ... Rick Wakeman.

Actually one of the very first albums I ever bought, played to death and unfortunately it now shows.

Time to look for a newer copy methinks!
Queen - "A Night at the Opera"

2018 Hollywood Records Canada 1/2 Speed Abby Road Remaster
My uncle who started me on hi-fi 40-some years ago is visiting.  I put on a half-speed mastered Pink Floyd Wish You Were Here for him to listen to.  He won’t admit it, but I think I saw a tear...
@16f4, very nice.  I think Gilmore evokes emotion like almost nobody.  Andrew Latimer does it for me too - maybe even more.  

Sinatra: “Songs for Swingin’ Lovers” • “Greatest Hits” • “Songs for Young Lovers”

Pat Metheny - “First Circle”

Crack the Sky - “Safety in Numbers” Side one sweet dream progressive rock album side nightcap.  
Bob James and Earl Klugh, One on One.
Grover Washington Junior, Winelight
SuperTramp, Crime of the Century.
@jamesclarke - Nobody listens to Crack the Sky. ;~)

Just kiddin'. That's a great album. "Nuclear Apathy" is a prog masterpiece. Been loving it since 1978. One of my college roommates was from Weirton, WV where Crack the Sky formed. We played all of the Crack the Sky albums ALOT back in the college days.
Post removed 
Nobody’s ever even heard of them.... except in Baltimore.... the best band you’ve never heard of and all that...

In the strange town of Portland Oregon there was this incredibly unique low budget am station, KVAN, that went way beyond AOR. They played almost everything (told us they did draw the line at Sabbath) over a signal so weak it was almost always hard to find on a transistor dial. First time I heard Smoke on the Water as a little kid was on KVAN (it was MIJ). They played some weird stuff that we didn’t get but mostly they played great music that no other station in town (or maybe the rest of the planet) dared play. 

My brother claims he was the first to hear Safety in Numbers on KVAN and got me to buy the record (I had a summer job and he didn’t...) I remember it differently... but I digress. It became my favorite new Album. I went back to the first two from there and have since gone forward with them and Palumbo. I mean, the songs are original and cool, but the musicianship is just superb. 

‘ think I posted recently about my listening experience with Greenhouse - being quite struck by the high production values on that record.  

@reubent , @jamesclarke,

I'm one who has never heard them. Just checked out some of their stuff and it's right up my alley. Thanks!
Pixies MoFi pressings vs 4AD U.K. 1st pressings. The 4AD pressings seem to be surprisingly more open and dynamic. 
A few of my purchases today from Record Stop, Patchogue NY  
The Super Hits Vol 1 & 2 from Atlantic Records 1968.  Aretha, Rascals, Otis, Sam & Dave.  Sounds pretty damn good.  Also Chuck Mangione Fun & Games.  Good purchases 4.99, 3.99  Just like '68
Unfortunately not much of Crack the Sky on Qobuz.
Must admit never heard of them,never mind heard them.

But I bet hardly anybody this side of the pond has heard much by Mostly Autumn? Great British prog rock/ Celtic rock group. Check out Heart Full of Sky as a good taster.

But will stream something later and see what I think.
Crack The Sky - “Animal Notes”

——————————————-

@uberwaltz, thanks for the recommendation. Checking out Mostly Autumn now.