What to expect if I import an amp and preamp from a Japan seller via US eBay

I can’t afford the cost of the amp and preamp I’d like to buy.  I’ve discovered I can pay just less than half what I’d pay at a dealer in the US.  But I haven’ t done this before.  I’m aware that I won’t have a guarantee and that I’ll need a step down transformer.    I willing to take the risk of no guarantee.  But I don’t know what to expect when my box hits CUSTOMS.  What can I expect?  What are my responsibilities?  How much is it likely to cost me?, I’ll be paying $7000 for the amp and the preamp..

128x128echolane

If Aauphase no step up transformer ,they just change the taps 

my friend bought one this spring the E4000 and sounds great. From eBay 

The seller has a great feedback rating.

carlsbad2

As has been pointed out here by others there are a host of things that can go south when buying an item on ebay from Japan. I have bought and sold on ebay many times and audiogon and us audiomart. Also bought items from Japan, Russia, Japan, Poland and China. Usually bought from a dealer when purchased overseas. Good deals and bad ones. Warranty has not been an issue as much as just reliable quality repairs. I would not want to ship a preamp and amp back to japan. I am glad the OP is thinking about these things.

To me, Esoteric makes great products and would like to add their streaming dac.   The us markup compared to Japan is higher than luxman and accuphase by almost double I am tempted to make the purchase 

I have purchased a Accuphase intergrated from Japan off of ebay. My experience was supurb! The unit was sent via Fedx and they handled all the customs for me. Once the amp arrived at customs, I called a fedx agent and everything was handle by them at minimum cost, since japan is a favorite nation. The seller from ebay kept me informed all the way to delivery.The amp was shipped in 4 boxes and arrived in perfect condition.  My unit arrived with proper voltage so no transformer was needed. Accuphase is built like few others .The craftmenship was some of the best I have ever seen, so warranty was a non issue for me. I hope yout purchase was as good as mine.

@echolane -- I can understand where you are coming from, and if it is an Accuphase Amp, I find it freaking ridiculous that a person can buy a brand new, in the box, unopened Accuphase E4000 Integrated Amp in Japan for $6,190...but buy it here in the U.S. and it’s $14,000! F**k that. I don’t begrudge a U.S. business owner making a living, but if you are going to deal in a product that has that big of an upcharge, good luck.

I hope everything goes smoothly in your transaction. Please keep us updated. Best wishes.