What to expect if I import an amp and preamp from a Japan seller via US eBay

I can’t afford the cost of the amp and preamp I’d like to buy.  I’ve discovered I can pay just less than half what I’d pay at a dealer in the US.  But I haven’ t done this before.  I’m aware that I won’t have a guarantee and that I’ll need a step down transformer.    I willing to take the risk of no guarantee.  But I don’t know what to expect when my box hits CUSTOMS.  What can I expect?  What are my responsibilities?  How much is it likely to cost me?, I’ll be paying $7000 for the amp and the preamp..

128x128echolane

Showing 2 responses by allenf1963

@echolane -- I can understand where you are coming from, and if it is an Accuphase Amp, I find it freaking ridiculous that a person can buy a brand new, in the box, unopened Accuphase E4000 Integrated Amp in Japan for $6,190...but buy it here in the U.S. and it’s $14,000! F**k that. I don’t begrudge a U.S. business owner making a living, but if you are going to deal in a product that has that big of an upcharge, good luck.

I hope everything goes smoothly in your transaction. Please keep us updated. Best wishes.

@rsf507 -- No sarcasm intended at all, but please enlighten me why "No ebay Ads" is your qualifier?  Do I buy stuff off ebay?  No.  Do I know others that buy a ton of stuff off ebay?  Yes.  Would I buy an Accuphase from ANYWHERE?  No, I think it is extremely overpriced gear and I'd rather pick the money from the tree in my back yard and spend it on vintage gear like my MC-225, ARC SP-17, Dennis Had Inspire 45 and LP3.1, and some great sounding Chi-Fi products.  I found 3 or 4 ebay sites in Japan selling Accuphase gear for roughly half of the U.S. costs, and each seller has over 3,000 sold transactions and 97% or higher ratings.  Other than being in Japan, they have ebay statistics a heck of a lot higher than most other vendors, including online dealers in the U.S.

So am I a newbie at ebay?  Absolutely.  Have I heard horror stories on this site about ebay?  Absolutely.  But I've also read horror stories about Audiogon sales, U.S. Audiomart, Canuck Audiomart, etc., etc.  So I really want to know -- why does an audio dealer in Japan selling the same item for 50% off on ebay make that an automatic "No Deal" for you?  Other than the normal pitfalls of any audio transactions online, what am I missing?  Thanks in advance.