What to expect if I import an amp and preamp from a Japan seller via US eBay

I can’t afford the cost of the amp and preamp I’d like to buy.  I’ve discovered I can pay just less than half what I’d pay at a dealer in the US.  But I haven’ t done this before.  I’m aware that I won’t have a guarantee and that I’ll need a step down transformer.    I willing to take the risk of no guarantee.  But I don’t know what to expect when my box hits CUSTOMS.  What can I expect?  What are my responsibilities?  How much is it likely to cost me?, I’ll be paying $7000 for the amp and the preamp..

128x128echolane

Showing 2 responses by dwest1023

I have purchased a Accuphase intergrated from Japan off of ebay. My experience was supurb! The unit was sent via Fedx and they handled all the customs for me. Once the amp arrived at customs, I called a fedx agent and everything was handle by them at minimum cost, since japan is a favorite nation. The seller from ebay kept me informed all the way to delivery.The amp was shipped in 4 boxes and arrived in perfect condition.  My unit arrived with proper voltage so no transformer was needed. Accuphase is built like few others .The craftmenship was some of the best I have ever seen, so warranty was a non issue for me. I hope yout purchase was as good as mine.

The EBay dealer I purchase from, had my Accuphase converted to 120VAC from the Accuphase factory. This dealer reassured me from shipping to delivery, with excellent communication. I believe my cost from FedEx, acting as my agent cost me $55 bucks. The bill was sent in the mail after delivery. Once the item reached customs, you call FedEx and they take over from there. The amp was packed superbly in 4 boxes. The amp was well protected. Once my amp arrived, I removed the top and there was not ANY evidence that the amp had been modded. Plugged it in my 120 and beautiful music came out. I own and PassLabs 250, Mac 253, hegal 390, and non of them are built with attention to detail as my Accuphase. I doubt seriously I would ever have a problem with this amp. Of course anything can happen, but the built quality is impeccable. Getting this amp at almost half price was well worth it to me. That my experience.