What to change in my system

Hi everyone 

I would welcome suggestions on improving my audio system Imaging and soundstage while keeping clarity. I have $3,000 to spend, on gear. I like my systems sound but ...

The components:

1. I'm 77 with typical hearing deficits at the high frequencies. I have limited financial resources, $3000 is available plus revenue from sale of all existing speakers. I play just CDs mostly classic rock such as the  Stones, Beatles ,Who, Zepplin, etc. Jazz  focused on sax and piano Coltrain, Parker, Rollins, Evans , Monk and the classical symphonies Beethoven, Bach, Mozart etc. I like to hear the inner detail of the music so imaging is a big plus, soundstage can be speaker to speaker depth is somewhat constrained by distance to back wall of two feet.
  2. My current system Canton 9k reference stand mounted and two SVS SB 1000Pro subs positioned along side. My integrated Technics SUG 700 feeds the music played by a Marantz cd6006 cd player. Nordost Odin  interconnects are used.  Monster cable power something coherent something source ( can't read but thick and old lots of copper well insulated lol) speaker cable to my Canton's bass. Maker cables drive the mids and tweeter, SVS cables are used for the SVS subs. 
  3. The room12x16 is well damped plants in all corners and fully furnished and  wall to wall carpeting. Full almost floor to ceiling  drapes cover windows behind the speakers. Those corners facing the speakers are cover floor to ceiling in plants. The ceiling is vaulted starting at 7 ft where speakers are positioned to 12 ft high where I sit. My sitting position is 8 ft from the speakers. The wall behind me has a big glass picture. The two side walls one is wide open  leading to dinning room the other mostly undamped exposed glass leading outside.
  4. Wife factor speakers are in a fixed position 8 ft apart between the speakers is my other gear on a stand.  two over stuffed chairs are on the outside sides of the speakers and any change to room is verboten. As an aside my prior speakers were the beautiful light oak Snell C2  mk2s, which were great but wife did  not like them, to big, so sold and I  got the Cantons and added the SVS gear all black( two can play that game) now she wishes the Snell's were back. I guess this is my way of saying floor standers are back in play, lol.  

scott22

OP:

The suggestion of a different amp was just to be different, not necessarily better. :)  A romp through some classic tube amps might be a fun adventure, not necessarily a better destination.

For your budget and system I think overall keeping it as is and being careful to examine the subwoofer, speaker and room integration is what I'd recommend overall.  For instance, look at the AM Acoustics room mode simulator for tips on where to not place your speakers and subwoofers and listening location. 

Also, since these are non-destructive tests, try plugging your ports to see if the main speakers sound better from the mid bass on up. If so, you may want to adjust your subwoofer a bit to match the new, sealed speakers.

Otherwise I might recommend you listen to a pair of Fritz speakers, which have excellent performance, but not sure it would be a big improvement over what you have now overall. 

You don’t need Nordost Odin at all. It’s an overkill and can be replaced by a lot cheaper wire and that will give you even more funds for better upgrade components.

+1 on the adjustments suggested by erik_squires.

As for an equipment purchase, I am with those who suggest upgrading from the DAC within your CD player. Use the player as a transport.  Check out the MDHT Orchid DAC.  Much info on this DAC in the AG forum. 

Thanks everyone for taking the time to give me your suggestions. I will be pursuing a stand alone DAC and will investigate the Denafrips line as a cost effective option as it gets great reviews.