Weiss 204 to Bricasti M1 series?

I’m demoing a Weiss 204 and like what I hear- dynamic, quietbackground, nicely detailed without sounding etched or bright.Would probably replace my Mac mini with a dedicated streamer if I keep the Weiss.  Wondering how the Bricasti M1 would be a lateral move vs. a step up, whether using its network card or with a streamer, thanks.

jmlm

dynamic, quietbackground, nicely detailed without sounding etched or bright.

I have the 205 (204 minus DSD and USB) with a Linear Power Supply, and fed with a Bricasti M5 your description matches what I hear and does remind me very much of the Bricasti M3 that I owned for a short while about 4 DACs ago.    I've never heard the M1 (mk1) but I did hear a dealer say they thought the M1 offered a bit more detail and dynamics over the M3.   Its been a few year but I kind of think the 205 has at least the level of detail (if not a little more) than the M3.   With the LPS I'm very content with its dynamics.

For the last 1.5 years I've been using a Meitner MA3 and I think the 205 has a little more detail than even the MA3, it just doesn't have the smoothness and most importantly the body/weight that gives a more sense of full figures and that live fleshy quality.   For the relative difference in sound though vs the BIG price difference I've actually sold the MA3 and plan to use the 205 until the next greatest thing comes along.

Personally, I think the M1 (mk1) would be just more along the same lines of the 204/205 and if I ever go way up the ladder again in price will go back for the more fuller/denser sound of the Meitner or its type.

If you need a streamer and integrated volume control the Bricasti is awesome though.   I have a very good preamp and love the sound and flexibility of the M5 streamer so am happy to keep those functions out of my DAC which helps with being able to go with the lower priced more dedicated DAC.

The bicastis sound better with an external server and the Mac Mini is  definitely holding your dac from creating its best sound

Our 432evo Aeon with the m3 sounds amazing or with your weiss 

DAVE AND Troy

AUDIO INTELLECT NJ

US IMPORTERS 432EVO MUSIC SERVERS

Why not step it up even further the T+A 200 dac-preamp  is sonically superior retail $7200  is a excellent dac and meets or beats dacs up to $15 k. Just check out the reviews ,then gets demo.

If you like the way the Weiss 204 sounds now, try it with a 9V4A Plixir Linear Power Supply. Takes the performance up a step or two. Also try the better Plixir Statement DC cable from the supply to the Weiss - well worth the small extra cost.

@audioman58, do you get paid per post by T+A by any chance 😀

I see you pumping the 200’s tires on pretty much every DAC thread. Yes, my local dealer who sells the Meitner MA3 (which I owned) and 200 says the 200 is a great DAC, but in my experience of owning between ~$750 to $10K+ DACs, the relative differences let alone the absolute ones don’t always justify the hefty price difference; this is not even counting the depreciation hit on a DAC when it gets replaced by a newer model.

Yup, The MAC mini ain’t skinny. A streamer is. Please get the best you can afford and clean up the Ethernet chain. Read all about it by searching these fora. 

In our audio club I have heard digital up to over $50+k just for the dac.

my brother owns the latest DCS Rossini which is incredibly good

yes I agree with diminishing returns But from my Vast experience including owning aAudio store for a decade, digital has made great strides in the last few years Finally. Thst being said for most people getting into the$5-7k range is the sweetspot for a Reference quality dac , from $2500- To Reference range theGOP is Huge in every area for realism , that is why I promotetheT+A 200 dac and very good Active descreet dual mono preamp section which too is Very good and eliminates a separate preamp in most cases unless you spend over $5+k. The 200 dac is = to any $15kk dac in total balance for most people , that’s why I promote it .

itis such a great value . I am buying one but have to save until spring ,being married the house comes first. Notmuch more to say check out all reviews including YouTube , and you can save a grand if you shop around ,and has HQ player built in if you spend the $200 for the program that too is aHufe bonus 

you literally can Taylor the sound to your specific system.

YMMV of course, but I've routinely had two main problems with using a computer as a music source:

• USB ground loops
  • Power supply noise getting into the AC line.

My experience with Mac's, and any computer really, is the power supplies tend to inject a lot of noise into the system that's almost impossible to clean up.

I have no problem with a computer being used as a source, but not on the same AC circuit.

Also, inexpesnsive USB isolators can really help if your DAC is happy with them. It's a real shame 100% of DACs today don't have 100% isolated USB interfaces but it still happens.

@jmlm I own Bricasti M3. It’s internal network renderer beats Mac Mini as a streamer. The Mac Mini is serving as a Roon core in my setup. It’s not bad in that capacity but as a streamer it’s just simply not good.
Bricasti network renderer is going to compete with streamers in its price point ($1000 to $2000). The DAC section of the Bricasti is pretty good though and you should be able to get great results with a higher end streamer or a CD transport.