Weiss 204 Dac or LTA Audio Aero Dac as an upgrade from Chord Qutest Dac

I am currently using a Chord Qutest Dac with my Lumin U2 Mini streamer.  The rest of my system as per my prior thread is Martin Logan 11A Impressions, Rogue Audio RP-1 preamp, Bryston 4B3 Cubed power amplifier. Has anybody had the opportunity to compare the Chord Qutest to the Weiss 204 Dac or the new LTA Audio Aero Dac. Looking to find out if both or either would be a substantial upgrade to the Chord Qutest. Alternative question, which Linear Power supply such as the S Booster added to the Chord Qutest make the biggest difference in better sound? Thinking don't have to upgrade DAC if the power supply option makes a big difference. 

128x128kjl1065

The Weiss is going to be closer in terms of your current tonal balance with the Qutest.  The LTA is going to be a bit warmer.  If you want to warm up your system a bit then the LTA is the way to go.  If you are happy with the tonal balance then the Weiss is brilliant.  

Full disclosure - I am a Weiss dealer and use the 204 in my office system.  I am nott an LTA dealer but Nicholas is a friend and I am a fan of their products.  

I’ll start off by saying I can’t answer the comparison question, but I do own a Weiss 204. The LTA is very new and I thought the Herb Reichert review in Stereophile was interesting, even with the comparison to a much more expensive unit ultimately. I am a fan of LTA and own their microZOTL preamp and was interested in their DAC when I first heard about it, but decided to upgrade to the Weiss before the LTA was production ready.

One thing that took the Weiss to an even higher level was the addition of the new ModWright linear power supply that Dan Wright has designed for the 204. I am very impressed (caveat, I have not compared it to other LPS vendors). It really opened up the sound of the Weiss even more, added some additional dynamics, and perhaps what I was most surprised about, gave it an even more natural timbre. I liked the 204 quite a bit before in my system, but the ModWright was well worth it and they were great to deal with.

Again, not an answer to your question, but wanted to share my Weiss experience in case you did decide to go down that path.

I've found these to be equal or superior to products like SBooster which are often rebranded and price elevated Chinese power supplies anyway. I'm currently using six across different applications in both my consumer stereo and professional production gear. I've also steered several audiophile friends in the same direction and they are pleased as well.

Linear Power Supply

He stated: “I have customers that did those (Sbooster + upgrade), huge difference”

“I’ve tried both and the Sbooster is by far the way to go…. Sorry wish I did sell it, but rather you be happy than sell you the wrong product”

The Qutest LPS question peaked my interest. I texted my local store (Audio Advice) asking if he (Jon, the store mgr) recommended the iFi power elite for my Qutest (as they sold the power elite), thinking I would order one.  

Jon didn’t, but recommended the Sbooster with the MKII upgrade from upscale audio. To recommend a product you don’t sell is impressive but also demonstrates the Sbooster to a significantly better choice based upon the experience of his customers. 

I am ordering one for my Qutest. 

Th LAIV Harmony DAC $2700 US.......bests every DAC mentioned here except the Lampizator. IMHO

I returned my Qutest and got the Weiss 204 and its much better - for my system; McIntosh 352 tube amp and Revel Studio speakers

I agree with bgross but from the other pole. The Weiss’ neutrality worked wonderfully with Harbeth 40.2 speakers. My system with Harbeth, tubed pre and neutral SS amp, allowed all the detail and neutrality to shine through, without highs being too much at all. This also allowed that nice ‘wetness’ quality, so to speak, within its musicality to work quite well. 
I would think the Weiss might be an upgrade in the same lane as the Chord and the LTA may be like an upgrade from a different lane, i.e. LTA may be more different than Weiss and Chord. 

I tried the Weiss and it gave me anxiety, its sooo resolving and precise. Would think if one had an overly tubey/fat setup this DAC might tighten things up however, I also have speakers with metallic tweeters and they need some taming so the Weiss was just too much of a good thing I suppose. In the end it was not for me. This when I was looking to upgrade from a Line Magnetic DAC which I still love but ultimately have now chosen the Canor, DAC 2.10. It's just stupid good especially now with a tube upgrade. The soundstage & complete lack of grain in any manner sold me. It's a smooth piece without even a hint of digital presence. Could spend a lot more on any number of fine DACs but the Canor is right in my lane. Just my experience

@kairosman ​​​​​​

I appreciate your comment. I have a Gustard R26 and a U18. I'm using it with a Innuos Zen Mk3 streamer.  I've thought about trying a new dac, but I'm pretty happy with the Gustard.  With the proper cabling it sounds really good. 

I have the Weiss 204 a Lampizator Baltic V4 and a Gustard R26.

They are all good but have different sonic profiles, I would not say one is distinctly better than the rest, what I'd say is each DAC sounds best with certain genres of music.

The 204 excels with music that benefits from when your system prioritizes speed dynamics and clarity. Also it is the most 'transparent' of the 3 DACs.

FYI my system is highly optimized for resolution so take what I've said and interpret it with that in mind.

Also: I had a Rogue RH-5 preamp/headphone amp with the Qutest, prior to the Benchmark HPA4. With the Qutest set to 3V, many recordings would cause clipping. No such problem with the Weiss outputting 8V into the HPA4. (And no problem with 2V from the Qutest into the Rogue.)

I replaced a Qutest with a Weiss 205. Prior to that I replaced the stock Qutest power supply with an iFi Elite, which seemed to improve things. I’m using the Weiss (with Sbooster) into a Benchmark HPA4 and AHB2. Not attenuating the Weiss (so approximately 8 volts vs. the maximum 3 from the Qutest), and using XLR. Those two differences may account for my preferring the Weiss. I also was able to buy the Weiss new for $1350 from Vintage King, before the huge price increases on the 204 and 205. I certainly wouldn’t buy either of them at the current prices.