Upgrade Interconnects/Cables or…?

At 71 years of age, I have two possible upgrades I’d like to perform. After that I’m done, except for the usual tweaks (i.e., tubes, isolation, etc.). I’m very happy with the system I’ve built over the years, and it fits my room (medium), and the sound I’ve been after has been realized. I am guilty of concentrating on the main components of my system, and not paying much attention to what connects them. And, I’m in the hunt to upgrade my line stage…Maybe? So, what to do first, and perhaps I can hold off on the second option entirely? My budget is under $6,000 for either one.

I’m still an analog guy, even though I do have a DAC, Streamer, and NAS. My concentration here is for my phono playback. My interconnects and cables are old, but even so, each time I’ve upgraded a main component I have heard definite and sometimes significant improvement. Whenever I purchased interconnects/cables in the past, they were always decent ones at the time.

Option 1 - I’m looking at replacing the following interconnects/cables for my phono playback…

Turntable, Arm, Cartridge: Upgraded TW Acustic Raven, Ortofon RS 309D, Ortofon Verismo

Current Phono Cable: Cardas Cross

Phono Stage: Tron Seven with the Reference caps

Current Interconnect to Line Stage: Cardas Cross Reference

Line Stage: Boulder L3AE and recently upgraded the caps by Boulder

Current Interconnect to Amps: Crystal Piccolo

Amps: TW Acustic 300B Monoblocks

Current Speaker Cable: WireWorld Silver (original)

Option 2 - My system is fully unbalanced, so when considering a line stage, I don’t want to pay extra for designs that benefit from using the balanced side when I won’t be using that. One consideration for replacing my Boulder, is the Audible Illusions L3B.

So, which option might you choose if you could only choose one? And, what might you go with?

Thanks,

Kenny

kennythekey

I want to fill my room more, so around me…my primary objective is to open my front to back soundstage and possibly improve upon what I’ve already have.

I don’t think it’s possible to achieve what you’re looking for with your speakers placed as they are and counter to how they’re designed to work without corners, and throwing $$$ at cables or equipment probably won’t help much either because you’re just fighting an uphill battle against physics.  If you haven’t already, I’d try pulling the speakers 3 feet out into the room just to see what happens (hey, it’s free right?), and I suspect that alone will give you a lot of what you’re looking for.  If your speakers sound poor being pulled further into the room then my only suggestion is to get new speakers that will work better in your room and can give you more of what you’re looking for or just live with what you have given the room/placement issues.  Sorry, I don’t mean to be negative but neither do I want to see anyone throw potentially big $$$ into new/different equipment that likely can’t fix what looks to be mainly a compromised room/speaker situation.  In any event, best of luck in achieving what you’re looking for.

Beautiful system and space. I’m 71 as well and very happy to have achieved exactly the sound quality I have wanted all these decades. I like the way you blended the audio rack with components. 

I would see if you can find an Audio Research Reference 3 phonostage to try. I think it has detail, staging and natural sound you want. 

The old Cardas were a bit warm and not as neutral as, for instance Transparent… I’d give those a try… close to the source first.  

Enjoy!

kenneythekey,

consider a consultation with a room treatment company-whatever diffusion/damping you can get away with without  ruining  room aesthetic?

A little off topic-I believe ive mentioned in the past admiring your Mac MR 71 case. Is that company still in business? 

My 1967 MR 71 case continues to disintegrate and needs to be retired. 

Kenny…the fact that you don’t have sidewalls and corners is not entirely a downside. You can try treating the front wall but I’m not sure it will accomplish what you’re looking for. You need a more transparent and open sounding amplifier and speakers combination. Your cardas cables aren’t helping but I don’t believe they’re the single culprit. 

soix - The reason for the speakers wanting corners is for bass. There are 2 bass drivers in the rear of each speaker that are ported out the back. By themselves in this setup, the speakers can normally go down to 30hz. With the addition of the custom subs everything improved including the extra detail. So, my system sounds better than it did with corners. With both my old setup and this one, I still wished for more air around me. You may be right, but the common denominator in both cases are the same cables and the Boulder line stage being in both locations. However, the amp I was using in my old setup was a CJ Premier 11a. I will definitely try moving my speakers out into the room.

ghdprentice - Thanks for the kind words. And, switching the conversation to the line stage. I’m also wondering if losing the painting on my front wall and adding some treatment for dispersion would help open it up in my direction?

tablejocky - Okay, that’s what I started to think about regarding treatments. Regarding the MR71, I can’t come up with the company anymore. However, Audio Classics (audioclassics.com) sells original cabinets.

Kenny