Two 330A versus one 860A?

Any advantages or disadvantages of using two 33OA in mono mode versus just one 860A?

thank u!

128x128humbertorami

Seeing as the 860 is essentially two mono blocks in a single chassis, simpler is better in the less is more age. What speakers do you want to drive? 225 pc @ 8ohm is solid numbers with a double at 4.  Considering the cost difference between 860 and 330, if you have the means, the 860 as stereo would be the better. Bridging is not often the better outcome. 

Thank you! The cost of two used 330A’s is considerably lower than that of the used 860A....about 4K vs 6K ..also you get 400watts per channel with the 330’s in mono mode.

I own one of each and have wondered if selling the 860A and buying another 330A would be a good idea.

The amp feeds Harbeth 40.1 speakers.

Thank you!

I’ve own two M400 (the mono version of the 330) and upgraded to the 860A V2.  Note I’m referring to the 860A v2.

The items are not equal. The power transformers and capacitors capacity is significantly higher within the dual mono 860A v2. The resulting sound difference is both increases dynamics and the ability to deliver music detail and drive with fluidity. Occasionally my M400s would get hot with long listening sessions around 85 db. The 860A v2 may be 2-3 degrees warmer than ambient room temperature while delivering the same peak dbs with a lower noise floor. 

Overall, the 330s are excellent for their price new. Given I see used M860A v2s for sale at $9400 - I would buy the used on if the seller was reputable and you know it’s a functioning unit with not issues. 

The 860A is head and shoulders better than the 330 monoblocks that's why it costs so much more it wouldn't even be a fair comparison I have used SIM audio for over 30 years now I have the w8 amplifier and p8 preamp, the evolution series is far superior to their lower line, if you can afford the 860A get it.

If all else is equal, the physical separation can reduce crosstalk and improve separation, but it appears that the 860A has some advantages over the 330, which will likely offset the benefit of two monoblocks.