Turntable advice

Hello everyone, I’m looking to buy my first turntable and want to get some advice about two specific turntables that I’m looking at. I can get both of these for a similar cost, so I’m looking for opinions on which way I should go. First, my current system consists of Rockport Cygnus, McIntosh mc1.25kw’s, McIntosh c2700 (will be used as phono stage at the start), dcs Bartok apex for digital, Cardas clear reflection cables (not power), rel no 31 pair of subs and torus power units. 

The tables that I’m down to (unless I choose to not spend as much out the gate) are a VPI Avenger Plus, most likely with a Hana ML cartridge and a Pure Fidelity Harmony with the illustrious se Tonearm and either the same cart or potentially the stratos cartridge. 

If I go this route, I’d like something that could eventually get more out of upgrades cartridges or tonearms down the road. Any advice or thoughts would be helpful, especially if you have experience with both. Thanks in advance!

128x128dan_springer

Always buy something that will push you to upgrade something else. Otherwise you have to upgrade both in the future.

You have some serious speakers (and amp) so you should go with a turntable of similar caliber. Personally, I think Japanese and European tables are much better than VPI. I went through three decent turntables before I settled on the TechDas AFVP - and obviously lost money as I upgraded. I would suggest getting an end game turntable (based on your system) and matching tonearm/cartridge, otherwise your pursuit may end up in multiple upgrades like mine. You will also need to eventually invest in a good phonostage. Kuzma tables/arm (4P),TechDas, CS Port, J Sikora, Technics SP10, Dohmann, are some top notch high end brands. I know digital is catching up to analog, but its still some years away. Listening to records is another pleasure.

I see no reason to start with any 'table more expensive than the Pure Fidelity. It will hold it's value while you acquire your record collection and cleaners, new phono stage etc. Maybe in 3 years you'll triple your spend but until then, you'd be in the top 3% of TT in the world. Just enjoy the music and the process.

rdk777  has hit the nail on the head. The turntables he suggest are close to endgame tts. A TechDas maybe with a Kuzma or a Thales arm will give you years of pleasure.

If you have a nearby dealer, get a Linn. You can start simple and upgrade to your hearts content with no need to change tables. There is a lot of anti-Linn sentiment on this forum, but many devotees elsewhere.