Tube or solid state phono stage?

I have a high end all tube system (AR 750 SEL amps, AR Ref 6 preamp, SF Aida speakers) and am now adding a turntable with a Benz cartridge.. Should I stick with buying a tube phono stage or go with solid state? I’d like to keep my system all tube but I’m worried a tube phono stage may make the vinyl too warm sounding and not dynamic enough.

thanks in advance for any help!

stewartgr

Personally, I’ve never had a solid state phono stage that satisfied me. But admittedly, I have not tried many: a 2-box Trichord Delphini 25 years ago, which was left in the dust by a succession of tube phonos; and recently, a MoFi MasterPhono bought mostly for its current drive. But it did not have the holography and palpability of image (along with excellent dynamics) that I prefer, and which are characteristic of good tube phonos, so I sent it back. I do plan to try the Channel D Lino 3.3 soon, another SS current drive. We’ll see. Return policies are a godsend.

I should add that my tube phonos—and most on the market—incorporate step up transformers, adding gain for LOMCs without extra noise. I’ve never owned an all-tube phono stage but I’ve heard a few.

if you’re looking for a tube-based phono with superb dynamics, I can recommend the Manley Steelhead. When I owned it, I thought that was its forte. Along with great flexibility.

I have an all ARC system and have used solid state and tube phono stages with it. (Starting out, I thought perhaps solid state would be the way to go). The ARC phono stages provide a synergy with their amps and preamps that cannot be beat with anything I've heard. I have the Ref Phono 2 SE , Ref160Ms and Ref 40 with TechDas Airforce 3 Premium S and various carts including Lyra Atlas Lambda SL and Dynavector XV 1t .

Can hardly stand to listen to my CDs.

Dynamic and musical. Not at all too warm. Go with ARC.

Lots of really good recommendations and best of luck. Got to hand it to posters on this site, they really helped when I got started. Have an Allnic 7000 H and must say their phonos are generally the best in their lineup. I must say though, BAT upper end phono stages will absolutely slam you. They have balanced inputs also.