Thumper’s Mother

I’ve been a member here for years. Increasingly, the discussions are peppered with cutesy comments and criticisms that reek of attention seeking behavior. 

Please offer more respect to those around here that are innocent hobbyists. They are here to have fun talking about stereos, not be taken to task. I suspect you do it because this is your only available audience. 

These are people. Some are dealing with tragedy, heartache, loss and loneliness. They are trying to forget about troubles and mean people, not engage them. 

If you don’t like a post, or agree with a topic, or have a problem with sentence structure or punctuation, and can’t be helpful and respectful, keep your mouth shut and your hands in your pockets. Go start your own perfect discussion or seek out a narcissist forum in which to contribute. 

I’ve read enough of this garbage to have earned my say. If more people would stand up, this would evaporate. It exists in real life only where it is tolerated. None of you would walk into a group of healthy men and pop off at the mouth. Some say you would I bet, but I know better. I’ve done it and highly recommend against it. 

And don’t give me the ‘can’t stand the heat’ business. Most all of you can be helpful and respectful if you want. Pearls of wisdom don’t justify disrespect. 

Let’s love each other and enjoy our hobby. Please?

uncledemp

I, along with apparently a number of others, appreciate this thread. I used to spend an inordinate amount of time here until 5-6 years ago. I left because the atmosphere went from fun and friendly to a real lack of civility. Anyway, I'm not back, just thought I'd pop my head in and say thanks to the OP. You are indeed a brave man, as half the comments you'll get will be fun and friendly, but indeed the other half will not be civil at all.

@tony1954 - great comment. I'm there with you too and @uncledemp too.

Finally, if you don't have anything good to say, maybe just wait a little longer and something may indeed come to mind.

@pokey77 

You are indeed a brave man, as half the comments you'll get will be fun and friendly, but indeed the other half will not be civil at all.

Thanks for popping in. I did a quick tally; 16 for, 7 against the OP's suggestion, zero un-civil responses.

Finally, if you don't have anything good to say, maybe just wait a little longer and something may indeed come to mind.

I could not agree more. As long as "good" does not equal "I agree with you".

@tony1954 

No matter what we say or do, there will be a long line of people waiting to call you an idiot (or worse).

This is not what I've seen or experienced personally. The line you speak of is actually pretty short, and as @immathewj said (ironically) in this post, "I always thought that as long as politics are not involved, the discussions are usually pretty civilized." 

True statement.

The analogy is cables. If you are in the "snake oil" camp, everyone else is an idiot for buying expensive ones. If you are in other camp, the snake oil people don't have resolving enough systems or should get their hearing checked or invest in acoustic room treatments.

Two polarized camps.

I've been on the receiving end of "but indeed the other half will not be civil at all."

In a recent (deleted) post "Politically-inspired music is alive and well.", the OP posted a video/song about Trump. IMO it was just a poorly executed cheap shot at Trump and the music and lyrics were awful, IMO. The OP stated that whatever side your are on, you must find this song "moving".

I disagreed (I did not find it moving) and also stated that I am NOT a fan of Trump. 

Yet I was told my statement gave the collective "us" a "glimpse into my sole" (aka character).

Defend this statement if you will, but it's just a thinly veiled way of saying good vs. evil, and therefore I must be evil. Nice. Thanks a lot. 

What really disappointed me, is that I felt the need to refute the statement and defend myself to some anonymous jerk. What an idiot I was. A complete waste of energy. 

Again, two polarized camps, alive and well here on AG.

So yeah, let's be more civilized and kind.

My 2c - How does this website come across to newcomers? Are we attracting newcomers or driving them away?

More to discover