The receiver was my intro to HiFi! What say you?

128x128yogiboy

I received my first audio system from my parents in 1975, as a 16th Birthday gift.

The system was comprised of a Technics SL-1500 turntable with a Marantz 2230 receiver and a pair of Infinity 1001a speakers. 

I still have the 2230 nearly 50 years later, and that system introduced me to the wonderful world of music! 👍

Went to college knowing nothing about hifi... saw other parents lugging in boxes and setting kids stereos up in their dorm rooms. Not gonna lie, was pretty jealous considering I landed at school with a hockey bag, 3 sticks a suitcase and a clock radio, lol. After hearing some of these setups and learning a bit about what the other kids had, I promised myself someday I'd have a solid rig. Fast forward 3yrs & came back from playing hoceky in Europe with a bag. Marched right in to Tech HiFi in Harvard Square, slapped $3500 cash on the counter and asked the manager Ernie B to set me up with a full system. Left Cambridge that day in my bothers Cadillac w/JBL 4312s, Crown PL-2/SL-2, Teac V-95RX, Denon DP-72 & Micro Accoustics 3002 Cart. Got $38 bucks back and went to The Tasty (Cambridge landmark) for burgers & ridicule from the owners manning the counter. What a great day!

Mine was a Sansui receiver bought in the 60's but I have no idea which model. I kept that thing for many years and used it in my office until the sometime in the 80's.

Bought a Pioneer SX-1250 back in 1979 while I was in grad school.  Still have it and listen to it every day.  Had a complete restoration done on it about 8 years ago. I also have the same Denon DP-59L turntable bought around the same time, also restored a few years ago.  Both continue to work like champs!!