The imperfect amp: Pass or Ayre?

There are two high end SS amp brands which, from a technical perspective, don’t do very well, which I am thinking of:

Ayre and Pass.

Pass has stated that even ordered distortion is euphonic. Ayre’s zero feedback, diamond circuit has a great deal of distortion compared to the very best measuring amps.

I have to admit, that like an IPA vs. a Belgian White, I have a very strong preference, but my preference is not canon. It is just how my wallet moves me. You should in no way feel like my tastes matter. Buy what makes you giddy with joy.

Would you, kind lady or gentleman, tell us if you have heard both, what did you think?? Is this to narrow? Would you throw another brand into the ring??
erik_squires
I'm certain that many people use Ayre or Pass amps with Wilsons and suffer greatly and often from what is clearly the act of being fooled into having fun. What sheep...don't they know that these amps aren't "all that?" I can only assume these listeners sit there for hours in front of their Wilsons thinking "man, I wish these Pass amps were BETTER somehow," and the expense involved in what is obviously an experience of near mediocrity is simply criminal. I'm with Square Eric on this one...Nelson Pass in particular should be ashamed of his contribution to this art form with thousands of music lovers trapped in his web of delusional sonic bliss. "Oh the humanity!"
Nelson Pass in particular should be ashamed of his contribution to this art form with thousands of music lovers trapped in his web of delusional sonic bliss. "Oh the humanity!"

That's not a statement I'd ever utter or support. Nelson Pass' contributions and success as an engineer and manufacturer stand on their own.

But stating any amp brand is "nirvana" kind of goes against the grain of being an audiophile, doesn't it? I mean aren't we quibblers by nature? Isn't it in our blood to discuss the relative and specific merits?

Erik

You don’t buy an amplifier or audio gear... to measure it.... you buy to listen to it. It’s about how it sounds to your ears and brain... if you’re lucky also your soul.  Sure measurements matter and serve these designers as a guide... but in the end it’s their team of ears that ultimately determine how it sounds. Oh and to the OP who keeps opening threads to disparage a designer who is one of the few that the most amount of audiophiles actually agree on... you’re doing a far better job disparaging yourself than a well loved designer. 
You don’t buy an amplifier or audio gear... to measure it.... you buy to listen to it.

But you need to listen to it at home, "if" you understand the specs and bench tests, you can make a decision to take it home in the first place or not and not waste time, as dealers will sell you anything.
Also all your equipment is designed using these measurements and tests, then the designer listens to it, and if necessary makes changes using again those measurements and bench tests.
If you have any equipment that wasn’t made using these measurements and test, then you have junk!
Cheers George