Something just isn't there

I'm hoping some of you with experience can help me evaluate my system. It is, of course, hard to put words on sonic character but sometimes it just isn't there. My system is quite detailed and can have a very nice soundstage but rarely does it grab me. 

The system:Magnum Dynalab MD209 hybrid tube/SS amp,
Manley Chinook tube phono preamp,
Oracle Alexandria factory refurbished,
Oracle Prelude tonearm
Ortophon MC 20 super cart
Joseph Audio RM22si speakers
Audioquest Caldera speaker wire. 

As I have been upgrading the system, I'm left thinking that either speakers or room treatment need attention next.
My room is approximately 12x25with hardwood floor, hard surfaces including art and wooden furniture, two big sofas, and several doorways and windows.   My wife won't take kindly to funky acoustic treatments.Of course the speakers and cartridge are just plain old.  I find auditioning speakers daunting and worry that the showroom experience will not be representative of my home and my electronics. 
Any thoughts would be appreciated. 
Kevin

128x128lobsterotter
I'm surprised tubes haven't been mentioned.  Amperex 7308's (warm) vs. Siemens E88CC (cool) for instance.  
The Audioquest Diamondback is no doubt limiting extension, focus and definition as budget cables do IME.
The table and cart combo get praise in this retro review from 2016
http://www.tonepublications.com/old-school/oracle-alexandria-turntable/.   Described as lively and quick - the Alexandria's not going to have a lush presentation.   The MC20 review reveals that it is also described as accurate and tight.   http://www.tonepublications.com/analogaholic/ortofon-mc-20-cartridge/
Ditto for not lush.   Add to that the bright room and boomy floor.  Things could get ugly.

Reflective wood floors are another issue to be addressed by rugs, carpet, etc.. The one I am talking about is more about how rigid the floor is ie how it is constructed, not just how finished. Most upper level floors in homes are built to have some give ( not fully rigid. In those cases isolating bass vibrations from floor is a major difference usually for the better in terms of bass articulation and overall detail. Muddy bass is unnatural and obscures detail in the midrange messing up the music significantly. I’d be sure that is not happening first before doing anything else. If you jump up and down and anything moves or can be heard that’s a good test if not sure about floor construction otherwise.

Also yes turntable setup issues are common as well.   

All great posts!  Thank you all for bearing with me.

I will try the tweaks, lower crossover and VTA.  The TT was just set up by Jacques at Oracle so it should be quite right.

I need to reduce reflective surfaces with corner traps and tapestry wall hangings and use area rugs to balance the large ceiling area.  The floor itself is super rigid and solid in a 100yr old house; no flex, give, or squeak. 

Larryi is right.  I do tend to turn it up, trying to capture a presence or visceral connection with the sound. 

I'm guessing that lush indicates more pronounced middle frequencies, warmer sound.  My sound is detailed but still musical, not harsh or analytical.  Perhaps an element of lushness is needed.  Wlutke, I like the idea of IC and tube upgrades as part of the overall plan.

re: Most upper level floors in homes are built to have some give ( not fully rigid)

- what type of construction do you mean?

usually there are wide stringers every 16" with a plywood sub-floor set on top of them and nailed; then a wood floor nailed on top of that