Solo streamer

I’m looking to replace my Cambridge CXN v2 with a streamer that has better SQ.  I want a streamer with no extra accoutrements: no DAC, storage capacity, etc., nothing but a streamer.  Is this available?

128x128rvpiano

The Innuos Pulse series is a good fit, strictly streamers. I have had both Aurender and Innuos units and feel that the Innuos software is significantly better than Aurender’s. Sound from both are on par. Get the best one in that line that fits your budget.    

hicamore,    
Thank you for your comment.  Your experience with both is exactly the information I need. The N200 might be above my price point, though.

Reasonably priced options:

iFi Zen Streamer, Pro-Ject S2 Ultra Streambox, Primare NP5 Prisma, Volumio Rivo.

Am big proponent of putting money where it matters most, which is DAC, not streamer.  Here’s a link to a recent thread where competing perspectives on this issue are discussed:

recent streamer thread

Not wanting to whip a dead horse, but regardless of what streamer you buy, consider that in most cases, you need to connect it to an external DAC via an asynchronous connection (USB, I2S) in order for the likely better clock in the external DAC to do its thing instead of relying on whatever clock chip architecture is in the streamer. I agree to a large extent with @mdalton above. Streamers can and do make a difference, but that difference pales compared to what DAC you choose, its power supply, its analog output section, and then the rest of your system.

Also look to how good any software is in a streamer. If it isn’t easy or even fun to use, you will hate it. Does it integrate well with whatever streaming service you use? Does it offer say Tidal Connect so you can control it directly out of Tidal’s app to pass the stream directly to the streamer and not have it go through your phone? I keep hearing that Qobuz will have a "connect app" soon.

Some upper tier streamers might have superb hardware and engineering but be hampered by a lousy app. Makes me think that they should partner with low cost WiiM and license a fork of their app instead.

Good luck.