Small footprint subwoofer

I am in the process in replacing my current sub for a smaller one. I dont want overwhelming bass that will effect the music. Just articulate, musical bass that will be easy to integrate seamlessly. At the moment, I am about to get a REL R218 to replace a Hsu STF-2. Keep in mind this is in a very small room(10x10x8) so for the reason of getting a small sub. If all goes well, I might consider getting another REL with the same model if available and go stereo pair. What are your thoughts?

Ag insider logo xs@2xhighend64

I respectfully disagree you don’t need a sub that goes below 30Hz for music even in a smaller room. There’s actually a lot of

+100

I respectfully disagree you don’t need a sub that goes below 30Hz for music even in a smaller room. There’s actually a lot of info down there

Agree! Even with speakers with a stated low end of 35 Hz, I found the addition of two Rythmik FG12’s made a huge difference in sonic range as well as soundstage and overall presence of music...

highend64  I apologize for not being more helpful. While you moved the HSU slightly and it measured differently is not how to position a subwoofer.

The most effortless, quickest and practical way to find your rooms standing wave bass modes must be done with the -2dB HSU placed at your listening position because its the location you're actually trying to improve the subwoofers performance within the room. Think of it as a sort of reverse engineering. 

Connect one or two long inexpensive RCA interconnect cables (from Blue Jeans  or Monoprice cables) to the subwoofer.

Purchase or download a low frequency cadence tones that can be constantly repeated.

As the tones are being played slowly walk or crawl around your rooms boundaries listening for the strongest best sounding bass. Make a map of these locations within the room as you'll only have to do this once. 

With the HSU positioned now in the most convenient mode location readjust the subs parameters while listening from the listening position first with the bass tones then with music, by ear. There is no right or wrong as to what you feel sounds best. 

This method does not work with -6dB rated speakers since they simply do not play play low or loud enough to excite the rooms modes so there's nothing to integrate.

Room size has nothing to do with the delicate extra low bass. You can hear it in many headphones. So why give up on it with a -6dB sub bass speaker?

A couple of thoughts on this since small rooms are tough with subs.

Most importantly, sub placement in a small room is critical.  Be careful about putting a sub(s) too close to a corner.  Two subs will be better to cancel out the nodes.

The JL audio Fathom subs have a very small footprint and have an excellent built in DSP that will help with nodes/modes

An external DSP to eq the subs may be very handy in the small room since there is so little room and you may have to sit in a null or mode.

Good luck!

m-db  If you are referring the subwoofer crawl, I could have done that which can be a way to find the node but I found a much easier time saving way to find room problem. I personally use Rational Acoustics DIv2 software for this. Is pretty much a complex measurement software I use for other purpose which I happen to have available. It is pricey but very valuable tool. Of course your ears is the main tool.