Should we care if a piece of equipment comes from a pet-free, kid-free, smoke-free home?

I agree that I do not want a preamp or speaker coated with a film of smoke, but I am confused as to what a child or pet could do that would not be otherwise visible. You would see the cat scratches on the speaker grill, the dog chew marks on the rack, the iguana turds in the amplifier cooling vents. And what's a little dog hair among friends? As a 3 year old, I supposedly put my finger through my grandfather's new DIY speaker but I'm pretty sure he replaced the drivers so even that doesn't really matter. Most things will be visible and/or easily remedied.  Maybe the price will even be a little lower because of the cosmetics. If it doesn't mess with function, not a big deal to me.

What concerns me more is does it come from a drunk-free, drug-free home.  I think befuddled owners are far more worrisome than pets or children.

tcutter

Kids? Fine.

If hifi kit survives kids’ earliest years, it’s solid. If kit survives kids’ teenage music-discovery years, it’ll beat kryptonite.

Dogs? Fine.

Dogs might shed, they might drool, but they also guard the home against burglars breaking in to steal a listening session.

Birds? Fine.

Bird dust will coat the kit and protect it from ill effects of tar etc. should there have been any smoking on the premises.

Cats? Fine.

Better that cats perch upon / sleep atop the kit than had the birds.
May prevent coin deposits in cooling vents; caution top-firing woofers.
Cat dander - see Birds.

Reptiles? Fine.

If you contract Salmonella from the kit, you know the previous owner didn’t douse said kit with sanitizer spray, and so perhaps also avoided Febreze.

Fish? Fine.

Aquarium-borne humidity simulates a subtropical / coastal environment and certifies the kit’s gold plating is authentic.

Ferrets? NO.

Smoking? Fine.

Tar will seal up the bird dust / cat dander coating and thus protect circuits from aquarium-borne humidity shorts, especially kit with cheap / worn plating.

#1 on my No-No’s Top 10 List?

“Foam party-free.” Not to be confused with “Foam Party - Free!”

@hilde45, y'all got That 10/10.... and @waytoomuchstuff got it right 'bout the comb poem....

Anywhat...send this out with a sale...

DISCLAIMER: Object for sale is 10/10 on it's 'rated' and/or 'deterministic performance' as designed and manufactured.

"Cosmetic appearance" Does Not Include :

Odors, dust, 'glazed' or 'coated' finish(es) exterior and interiors, or 'sticky' to the hand.  Was used in a normal human habitation by apparently normal humans in seemingly typical ways and by normal means.

Any of the above is the 'enhancement' brought on by the normal 'antique=unique process" we're proud to be a part and participant in.

Please Note:

Fastest method of 'reversing' the A-UP is to pressure-wash the item throughly at a local car wash (including the blower): note that this will have to be done manually.

Further and complete drying with require having the device dry in a sunny day with low humidity for 3~5 days.  Open unit to inspect for any trapped moisture; if found, repeat drying time and inspection.

Not responsible for unit failure and/or any site damage due to electrical and/or fire.

Thanks for the transaction, and Good Luck!"