See you all after the elections

Regardless of what political messages are being spread around here it’s unfortunately true that the level of courtesy and how we talk with those we disagree with reaches a fever pitch before elections in the United States.

Too many talking heads in the mass media are modelling too much poor behavior and loathing of "others" and it’s filtering into this place which I like to hang out with for fun and to help others. What should be plain technical discussions are being infused with personal acrimony. If I wanted that for fun I’d work in a call center.

I’m taking a break from the A’gon for a while. I can’t say the toxicity it’s not affecting me either. This place is just not worth the anger and frustration it is causing of late and I certainly don’t want to learn how to behave by modelling that myself. Hopefully when I come back in 2025 Americans will again be relating to other Americans in ways that don’t involve criminalization or demonization and this place will be nicer.  I also really am too old to be having "but he started it" excuses over what should be a fun and meaningful hobby.  Be well all.  See you in a few months.

erik_squires

The thing I've noticed over the years is the increasing need  for some to infuse every topic of conversation with their political views, this no matter the venue. Misusing freedom isn't a concept many are acquainted with, we now live in a society where freedom is believed to have no cost/consequence, how misguided. This is a consequential/existential political era for many, emotions high, expect nothing to change post election.

Hey Erik,

Well you hung in there for quite a while.  Good to take a break from many things.

Enjoy the 4th.

Regards,

barts

I avoid any threads that directly discuss politics but the ironic thing about this thread is that Erik's infamous Amir/ASR topic was a revelation to me about how politial and tribal identity has taken root in this hobby. Some of the posters in that thread hurled the most vile, unfounded, ridiculous insults at Amir for eloquently putting forward his philosophy regarding how measurements and bias relate to what we hear. Geez, if you don't like what he is saying, just ignore him!

The whole thing reminded me of how dysfunctional our political debate has become. Our poliics have become our identity and it's our tribe against the other tribe. We can't seem to have a civil discussion anymore.

In our esoteric, nerdy audio hobby we seem to have separated into two tribes as well. It's the subjective tribe vs. the objective tribe and one of those tribes feels threatened to their very core about what the other tribe is saying. Their response is to sling insults and question the motives and character of the the people who view the world differently than they do.

To bend a phrase, Audio politics are so viscious because the stakes are so low.