See you all after the elections

Regardless of what political messages are being spread around here it’s unfortunately true that the level of courtesy and how we talk with those we disagree with reaches a fever pitch before elections in the United States.

Too many talking heads in the mass media are modelling too much poor behavior and loathing of "others" and it’s filtering into this place which I like to hang out with for fun and to help others. What should be plain technical discussions are being infused with personal acrimony. If I wanted that for fun I’d work in a call center.

I’m taking a break from the A’gon for a while. I can’t say the toxicity it’s not affecting me either. This place is just not worth the anger and frustration it is causing of late and I certainly don’t want to learn how to behave by modelling that myself. Hopefully when I come back in 2025 Americans will again be relating to other Americans in ways that don’t involve criminalization or demonization and this place will be nicer.  I also really am too old to be having "but he started it" excuses over what should be a fun and meaningful hobby.  Be well all.  See you in a few months.

erik_squires

Erik (and, asvjerry),

I’m hoping this is a plea for change and you’re not actually hitting the ’eject’ button.

Your contribution(s) on this "little" forum have value in ways that you may not have considered. I want to comment on this further, but have some commitments this morning. I hope to get back on ASAP. Hopefully, this topic won’t be closed or taken down by then.

John

Yes, to take a break from any thing you enjoy time to time is giving you better joy when you return to it. Once I was on my week long trip where I couldn’t get my favourite type of coffee and what a great much better taste of that coffee was when I got back from the trip. 

Finally someone has enough nerve to say something that needs to be said. I agree with the original comment and it not only applies to this particular forum but seems to be part of everything. It is sad and to our detriment that we have evolved to this type of society. I am also old and the world I knew and grew up in no longer exist