Problem with Marantz SR7012?

I purchased a refurbished SR7012 from A4L and just had my 5.1 system professionally installed including Receiver setup.  

I keep having an issue with the sound completely cutting out and a high pitch sound being emitted. I'm able to get the sound back by cycling through the different surround modes but it keeps dropping out. This happens with multiple different inputs and even using Airplay directly through the receiver.

I feel like it's a faulty receiver but could there be any other causes for this issue? When it works everything sounds great, so I don't think it's a speaker issue.

Happy to provide any more info that could be helpful to diagnose
128x128mlenow
Post removed 
It is the risk of buying a refurbished item especially electronics. Refurbished speakers are fine but not electronics. 
Buying refurbished can be "safer" than buying something new.  If it was sent back because it had a problem, they are repaired and thoroughly tested and come with a warranty, which the OP has apparently taken care of.  In other cases, they may just be a customer return, demo unit, etc.  I've bought a lot of electronics that were refurbished including audio products and computers.  I've never been unhappy with one of those purchases, at least not because of anything having to do with it being a refurbished item.

I had to send my first Onkyo receiver back because it was recalled.  Onkyo paid for it even though it was out of warranty.  That was a great experience. 

More recently, I have another Onkyo pre-processor that has a problem with not holding settings in memory, and they would not fix it and said there's only one place I can send it, and that the average repair cost is $400 (plus shipping both ways), which is more than the unit is worth.  I'll never buy anything from that company again.

Any problems I've had with refurbished items were typically problems that were widespread and just as likely to happen in a unit that was purchased new.