Phono Stage, Tonearm, Cartridge Question - Which is the most important?

I’ve been on this site for some time and have always been impressed with the amount of knowledge here.  I am a music lover to the core and I really enjoy the end result of high-end audio.  Over the past 3-4 years I have significantly upgraded my system based on advice here and from professional retailers. I have no technical skills or background but would say I have graduated from “I don’t know what I don’t know” to “I know what I don’t know” with what I don’t know being quite a lot.  I am, however, intellectually curious and eager to understand how things work.

With that background, my question is this. When considering the phono stage, tonearm and cartridge chain, which component is the most significant determinant of how a record sounds? I know everyone has different views about how something should sound but which of the three components has the greatest impact on how something will sound and why?

Thanks and Happy Thanksgiving!

@puppyt

Ag insider logo xs@2xpuppyt

@mulveling I am in total agreement. Especially that, I would guess, 90% of turntables come with a tonearm which really can not be replaced with a different one.

ghdprentice and any others, The question was to rank TT, tonearm, and Cartridge in order of importance for max SQ.  And I find myself agreeing with Jason Bourne.

Thanks for these responses. 

@lewm Sorry for the repetitive thread. As far as your last post is concern, my question wasn’t to rank the three components. The question was which of the three has the most impact on the sound of your system.

I would say phono stage. To get the best from a cartridge you need a great tonearm. To get the most from a tonearm you need a great table. From a table, a phono.

But cartridges wear out fast. Tonearms don't. Tables don't. Phono stages don't. So if you are considering cost, get a great phono stage first. For example, I had a Rega 3 back when - sounded good for the day. With an ARC SP8, the system sang.

I had planned to buy forever speakers that day - Magnepan Tympani IVA. But the SP8 made more difference, so that's what I bought. YMMV

In very Basic Terms a Phonostage receives Signal that is generated by the Interface of the Styli being in contact with the Groove and the Styli’s having LP Groove Modulation pass it, the undulations of the modulation are creating oscillation, which is transferred via the Cantilever / Armature into the Coils where the oscillation becomes a minuscule electrical Signal.

Note: Ambient Energies within the Listening Environment are able to be transferred to the LP Groove, resulting in a influence on the oscillation being produced by the Styli’s contact within the Groove. Contaminated Grooves also have the potential to influence the oscillation being produced.

The more faithful - unadulterated (not influenced by ambient conditions) the energy being generated and transferred from within the Groove as a Signal to the Phonostage. The more accurate a representation the Signal will be, when the transferred signal’s Gain is Increased by the Phonostage. It is not uncommon for a MC Cart’s Signal to be increased by a 1000x, which will be ideal for the next stage of amplification.

A Phonostage is Typically a tool to increase Voltage and carry out correction to RIAA.

RIAA is way to complex for myself, the Link will help if wanted to be looked into further.

What I am sure of over many years being a Vinyl Source Enthusiast and meeting with many who are similarly passionate through social interaction, is that Phonostages are not all viewed equally.

A Phonostages capability is as important to some as their most valued LP Pressings. Not everybody wants the same thing sonically from a Phonostage, in the same way not every bodies most valued LP Pressing is to be the same.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RIAA_equalization

In relation to the follow up inquiry about which is having the most impact on the sound.

I stand by the suggestion that a LP Sources Trilogy of Supporting Ancillaries, mounted on to a optimised support structure, will produce sonic far from what could imagine achievable. 

My take on it, is that expensive equipment required for Vinyl Replays, is being used to its least advantageous/ sold short, if not mounted on a optimised support structure.

I strongly suggest not spending too much money of any ancillaries seen to be an upgrade until the Support for the Trilogy of Ancillaries is addressed.

Ask anybody on any Forum would they revert back to former mounting methods used for the TT, after having discovered something perceived as optimised, the chances of getting a 'Yes' would be a hard find.