Oppo's gone, now what dvd/bluray to buy (Oppo BDP-105d)

I have the Oppo 105d which is a great player and all, but it's not 4k.  In my quick research, it's hard to find a standout favorite or best to compete with it.  

Anyone have any thoughts on what other players that are more readily available that might be as good or close to as good?

I really don't care for a good DAC or network streaming capability.
dtximages
I’m in the same boat as you and have read up as much as I can and the sweet, middle spot looks like the Panasonic DP-UB820 ($499.99), which is a scaled down version of the DP-UB9000 ($999.99).

Video wise, it’s the same as it’s big brother but lacking in the audio department. If you have a nice system already, just use it for the 4K capability, which is the same. All the review sites love it for those reasons.

There’s also the Pioneer UPD-LX500 ($999.99) and the LX800 ($?) but their line up seems to be waning out so there might be some good bargains to be had. That, and Clones Audio makes a replacement power supply board that can be used for both models.
https://www.clonesaudio.com/accessories-1

If I remember correctly, the Panasonic offers a better picture and is set to accept a future THX or Dolby HDR10+ encoded blu ray whereas the Pioneer doesn’t. Don’t quote me on it but I’m too lazy to reread it all. 😄

All the best,
Nonoise
Thanks @nonoise ..  I really don't see a reason in spending $1000 on a dvd player now days.  I wouldn't use its dac anyway and don't need the streaming bells & whistles.  Heck, I could probably drop down below the $499 Panasonic you mentioned too.
Most expensive SACD players start with the 105 guts then use better power supplies. I found a bunch of LPMs on Ebay.  One company had very helpful how to photos. I also replaced the IEC with a Rhodium IEC which came with a pure silver jumper to the power supply board and a jumper to bypass the 110/220 switch. For less than $500 I was so blown away, I don't use my $2600 Audio Alchemy DDP-1 + PS 5
hth
@tweak1 Wait Im confused, what did you spend $500 on?  I don't even know what an LPM or IEC is to be honest. 
LPM= Linear Power Module

IEC= the plug on the back of the component that the power cord plugs into

Sorry I don’t recall which ones I bought. Could not find them in Purchase history. Search for the power supply that has a bunch of how to photos

hth

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p2057872.m570.l1313&_nkw=oppo+105+power+mo...

you can use a computer to rip your discs to hard drive with mkv - hdmi out to tv for video - download madvr video renderer for free whcih will give you a much better picture than the above mentioned players - and usb out for audio to the usb dac of your choice - much better audio video quality for less money - I've A/b'd with several players including the oppo and Panasonic and they did not come close to playing files from my hard drive -

Never heard of madvr so I googled it and it's not quite as you say. It'll beat a cheap blu ray player and better an OPPO ( which are a few years past their prime) with a dedicated rig and special cards that run hot, etc.

The forums all seem like they want it all on the cheap like gamers of past and those that wanted music for free. Always looking for a work around from paying for it. I'd like to see real testing procedures and results done by a professional lab before going that route.

Most of those in the forums seem to like it, with caveats, and a few don't like it at all.

All the best,
Nonoise
I don't know of a single player that can play DVD, CD, and stream youtube and tidal all in one box. If there is such a thing let me know.
@falconquest   I kinda thought most dvd players now days were "smart" players and did all that.
Plus, I don't want a smart player.  I get my tv, netflix, hulu, etc from my tv.
I have the Pioneer Elite UDP LX 500.  I also have a large SACD and DVD-A collection and that is why I picked it over the competition a year ago.  I know the Panasonic gets great reviews but I think the Pioneer picture is superb.  Apparently it is beyond the budget of the OP, so I would suggest a Sony Universal player, for around $500
dtximages,
I have researched various players and I haven't found one that streams. If I'm wrong then that was the reason for my post. I do not have audio out on my Pioneer Plasma so the only way to run the sound through my system is by streaming.
@falconquest  gotcha.  I thought most did but I could be wrong.  I just know that the most popular ways to stream are through a smart tv or smart box like Roku, Apple Tv, or Firestick.  I use my Sony android tv for all streaming and run HDMI ARC to my receiver/processor or soundbar.  DVD is nothing more to me than a bluray/dvd/sacd/cd player which I rarely use.