Opinions: Martin Logan Renaissance 15a vs. Bowers & Wilkins 800D3

I have a choice between the ML Renaissance 15A used and Bowers & Wilkins 800D3 used, both are in great shape and priced near the same. I did attempt to listen to each under less than ideal conditions.

Which speaker would you pick and why?

128x128farne230

I would pick whatever sounds best to me. 

But if I had to “blind” buy it, my choice would be the B&Ws. With the right electronics in the right room they would be the better speakers. Better bass integration, more lively top end, more engaging presentation, easier with placement. 
One other downside of ML is panel maintenance. Depending on how long you plan to keep the speakers, dust accumulation on panels degrades the sound. Most of the time periodically vacuuming the panels would restore it though. 

Neutral electronics, may be even slightly leaning towards warmer side of neutral. I had good experience with Pass Labs and Audio Research with the older 800 series. They’ll need a big amp. Avoid anything bright…components or cables. 

+1 audphile1 

Another good amp choice would be one of the larger Magnus Audio (out of California) amps. The MA400 makes my 802D's sing nicely.  

I know what I am going to suggest may work is the integrated amp from McIntosh the MA12000 with a tube preamp built in and 350W per two channels. Your thoughts. Would this work well instead of using separates?

I appreciate every one who posted, I ended up purchasing the B&W 800D3 used from a local dealer at a good price, compared to what has been listed. Regarding the rest of the equipment, the dealer suggested Mac MA 12000 (new) or MC 611 or MC1.25 mono-Amps, didn't provide cables just a budget 7,000-11,000, Hifi Rose RS250 streamer, Mac MEN 220 room conditioner, Audioquest Niagara Power Filter and Quadraspire (stands).  I also would like a cd player and am/fm tuner (of course Mac has these products too). Any suggestions will be most appreciated. Thank you

Not sure about a tuner recommendation... I stream through Roon for radio stations so don't use one.

I would recommend a separate transport & DAC instead of a CD player. In regard to transports, a lot of people are using "Projects" TOTL or "Jays". As far as DAC's, I like the Musetec DA005 (great player / especially for the money), but there are a ton of other good ones out there as well.    

Good choice with the B&W 800D3's!

I "almost" purchased a pair myself when they were first offered.

At that time, I had been listening to them during scheduled auditions at my local Hifi store. And at the end of the initial session, I asked if they could possibly swap the gear to a different amplifier set. Instead of the (2-channel), "Classe" amplifier currently integrated with the B&W 800D3.

My sales rep. (Whom I have come to trust over the years). Informed me that these speakers had been actually, "Voiced" with the "Classe" amplifiers during final development in England. I was a bit surprised at this. Thinking at the time that "Classe" was in my mind, a bit of an "Underachiever" insofar as these things go.

But they did the gear swap before my next session. With a much more well regarded. "And expensive" set of mono-block amplifiers.

And I must admit that the B&W's sounded just more well-rounded with the (2-channel) "Classe" amp instead

So you "may" want to try one of the "Classe" offerings...

I do not remember the exact model. But I do remember, "new" it was retailing for ($5000-$5500). And this was a few years ago.

And I believe I remember him mentioning that it was a (2 x 200Wpc.) amp as well.

Good luck!

Thank you"boxer12", and "jollygreenaudiophile2" great advise. I am curious, if I consider mon-blocks instead of MAC's MA12000 integrated amp, say Classe Delta Mono or MAC MC611 mono-blocks, what will I gain besides cost more and additional cables? The two rooms my wife will allow me to expand are small roughly 13ft x14ft and I don't plan on playing loud. 

One advantage (a big one IMO) with going to separates instead of an integrated amp/preamp is the flexibility of being able to change one or the other out in the future. Also separates will likely give you better SQ with the B&W's as they are very revealing.  

@farne230 What is the size of your room, and how far out can you afford to have the speakers from the wall? Properly set up, the ML can be incredibly holographic and engaging, with a wide sweet spot. The 800D3 may be more analytical, with a much smaller sweet spot. And both speakers will require about 5ft behind them to get the absolute best out of them. 

Wife said no to living-room so this area is out. Room 1 is a game room 16ft by16ft. Room 2  is 13x13.5ft.  

@farne230 I would cross out the B&W. They need more space than 16x16 to get the best out of them, though you could go with a smaller model. IMO the ML Renaissance will sound better especially as they will drive less reflections on your side walls and ceiling, and the room correction capabilities for the woofers will better pair it with your room. That said, given the room size, you could find much better-fitting speakers and likely spend much less, depending on how good of a deal you are getting for two you mentioned.

@farne230 

The Rotel Michi M8 monoblocks would be glorious and easily compete with the McIntosh. The B&W's need current to tame those big woofers. When I had a pair of 802d3s, my dealer recommended the Michi series over the Luxman M900u; he sells both brands! The Michi series is that good; however, the new Luxman M10x is in another league, albeit far above your suggested budget though.  

I well remember Classe paired up with big B&W 800s and also remember thinking the Classe sound was rather musical, not so detailed and bright as many, hence why it could work with the semi-bright B&Ws and that diamond tweeter. A lean amp will keep you out of the room so caution is advised.

Have fun with those new-to-you speakers. They are great speakers without a doubt and with the right components they'll be enjoyable for a long time!

I am very close to  ordering the MC611 monoblocks and C2700 tube preamp and a Audioquest Niagara 5000 power conditioner. Cables, interconnect, stands, and music streamer are next (dealer suggested the HIFIRose RS250 (although I read on this forum there were some issues). 

a great amp is the unico 150 s beefy hybrid tube pramp coupled to a very potent solidatate amp section

Dave and troy

audio intellect nj

unison dealer

@farne230 if you’re going the CD player route I would suggest a player with a USB input. Audio Research, Luxman and Marantz come to mind. You can then get a dedicated streamer without a built in DAC and run its usb out into the usb in of the cd player to utilize its internal DAC. Unless of course you want to add a separate DAC and transport. Lots of options to explore.