Ohm Walsh 4.300.2 opinions

Hi Guys

I need some insight from you Walsh fans. I have someone offering me some Walsh speakers he was calling Ohm Walsh 4 Super 4 MKII Upgrade. I think what he has is 4.300.2. Does that sound right? and if so how do these compare to the newer 3000s and previous models. If I can get for a good price. Anyone have some insights or opinions

Thanks!

Ag insider logo xs@2xbulbous_blues

I used to love Ohm A's.  then the Ohm F's.....   the biggest problem with those is that they need lots of power and good sounding gear to get them to work well.   I don't know how your model sounds/performs

I am an owner of the older Ohm Sound Cylinders. They fill the room with 3-D sound from any listening spot! The effect is uncanny! Presently driven by a Carver TFM15cb amp with ease! If the price is right get the ones on offer! Ohm Walsh's are not common - most audiophiles have never heard them.

Ill be using them with either a Nad C298 or a recently serviced old Quad 405 amp. Both I'm sure will have enough power, but quite different amps.

Just hoping someone who has some knowledge of those walsh upgrades can advise me.

Sounds like circa 1990s second generation 10” Walsh drivers mounted on original Walsh 4 cabinets. 

Should sound very good if drivers in good shape and driven by a decent power high current amp. 

I have Super Walsh 2s which are 3rd generation 8” Walsh drivers on original Walsh 2 cabs and F5s which are 3rd generation 12” Walsh 5 driver with level adjustments mounted on refurbed original Ohm F cabinets since 2008ish and still going strong. 

I had original 4s that I got used and really liked them with a pair of REL T5 subs in the corners.  A crossover went bad, so I upgraded to the 5000 speakers on my old Ohm Walsh 4 cabinets.  Had to switch the base down to medium sized room (it’s a narrow 14’ x 40’) and ditch the subs.  I can’t see why I’d be looking to upgrade speakers in the future.  They fill the air with a physical experience.  Fantastic with textures and layers of percussion, so much so I’ve gotten into older funk like War, and Santana, Peter Gabriel, etc.   They also sound amazing with more acoustic music like Gillian Welch and Vanessa Fernandez, or Bill Withers or Nils Lofgren live recordings.  Today it was cranked up for J Geils.   I drive them with a 100w Rogue Cronus Magnum II, with the volume never really over straight up 12 o’clock, and even that is a bit loud for me.

My advice is to buy the speakers and then configure your system to play them.

I have a pair of Walsh Ohm 4XOs from the late 1980s and they sound great when played with my 300W Parasound amp. There is also a sub which takes some of the load off the speakers. 

Hopefully, you have a decent size room and can crank them up for best sound. Otherwise, a smaller speaker might be better for you.