My new Borresen X3's

These speakers are an absolute gamechanger....

tlittlefield

It sounds like you made a great decision, enjoy your new speakers!

"Opinions are like a-holes. Everybody's got one and everyone thinks everyone else's stinks."

It’s definitely eye Candy. We’ll see how long this fad lasts

I might be getting new speakers and trying to get back to the more traditional way of listening to things Beyond all the chemically created new fabrications. It’s all about marketing and appearance and you don’t know what to Believe.

We all like pretty things to look at in our living room. sonus faber is a very pretty speaker and b&w is pretty. JBL was more conventional and is very nice. Wilson is ugly but I hear it’s very nice. Rockport is very nice looking but isn’t doing very well. focal might be nice but it’s kind of ugly. tekton might be good but the front appearance looks like a weapon of war. Estelon is a fashion statement and maybe it sounds good. Alta audio is very nice it looks like a good speaker. And McIntosh tries to do speakers who knows if these are worthwhile but definitely pricey.

Crazy crazy process to make a decision

I’m sure the Borresens sound great but the whole R&D and advancements notion is mostly false. The marketing people would like us consumers to believe that’s the case but in reality there exist 30+ year old speaker models that would compete with nearly any speaker in the X3’s price range. Speaker tech has long been more mature than most audiophiles realize. The difference these days is the number of different models that compete at the top echelon, and some at a relatively lower price when adjusting for inflation.

It’s not unlike how tech has progressed in cars. For example, self-parking cars have actually been around since 2003, but they didn’t become relatively common until a couple years ago. Similarly, ultra high fidelity drivers have existed for decades, it’s only that these days they are easier and cheaper to manufacture.