My Long List of Amplifiers and My Personal Review of Each!

So I have been in a long journey looking to find the best amplifiers for my martin logan montis. As you know, the match between an amplifier and speakers has to be a good "marriage" and needs to be blend exquisitely. Right now, I think I might have found the best sounding amplifier for martin logan. I have gone through approximately 34-36 amplifiers in the past 12 months. Some of these are:

Bryston ST, SST, SST2 series
NAD M25
PARASOUND HALO
PARASOUND CLASSIC
KRELL TAS
KRELL KAV 500
KRELL CHORUS
ROTEL RMB 1095
CLASSE CT 5300
CLASSE CA 2200
CLASSE CA 5200
MCINTOSH MC 205
CARY AUDIO CINEMA 7
OUTLAW AUDIO 755
LEXICON RX7
PASS LABS XA 30.8
BUTLER AUDIO 5150
ATI SIGNATURE SERIES 6005

With all that said, the amplifiers I mentioned above are the ones that in my opinion are worth mentioning. To make a long story short, there is NO 5 CHANNEL POWER AMP that sounds as good as a 3ch and 2ch amplifier combination. i have done both experiments and the truth is that YOU DO lose details and more channel separation,etc when you select a 5 channel power amplifier of any manufacturer.
My recollection of what each amp sounded like is as follows:

ATI SIGNATURE SERIES 6005 (great power and amazing soundstage. Very low noise floor, BUT this amplifiers NEEDS TO BE cranked up in order to fully enjoy it. If you like listening at low volume levels or somewhat moderate, you are wasting your time here. This amp won’t sound any different than many other brands out there at this volume. The bass is great, good highs although they are a bit bright for my taste)

NAD M25 (very smooth, powerful, but somewhat thin sounding as far as bass goes)
Bryston sst2(detailed, good soundstage, good power, but can be a little forward with certain speakers which could make them ear fatiguing at loud volumes)

Krell (fast sounding, nice bass attack, nice highs, but some detail does get lost with certain speakers)

rotel (good amp for the money, but too bright in my opinion)

cary audio (good sound overall, very musical, but it didn’t have enough oomph)

parasound halo (good detail, great bass, but it still holds back some background detail that i can hear in others)

lexicon (very laid back and smooth. huge power, but if you like more detail or crisper highs, this amp will disappoint you)

McIntosh mc205 (probably the worst multichannel amp given its price point. it was too thin sounding, had detail but lacked bass.

butler audio (good amplifier. very warm and smooth sweet sounding. i think for the money, this is a better amp than the parasound a51)

pass labs (very VERY musical with excellent bass control. You can listen to this for hours and hours without getting ear fatigue. however, it DOES NOT do well in home theater applications if all you have is a 2 channel set up for movies. The midrange gets somewhat "muddy" or very weak sounding that you find yourself trying to turn it up.

classe audio (best amplifier for multi channel applications. i simply COULDNT FIND a better multi channel amplifier PERIOD. IT has amazing smoothness, amazing power and good bass control although i would say krell has much better bass control)

Update: The reviews above were done in January 2015. Below is my newest update as of October 2016:

PS AUDIO BHK 300 MONOBLOCKS: Amazing amps. Tons of detail and really amazing midrange. the bass is amazing too, but the one thing i will say is that those of you with speakers efficiency of 87db and below you will not have all the "loudness" that you may want from time to time. These amps go into protection mode when using a speaker such as the Salon, but only at very loud levels. Maybe 97db and above. If you don’t listen to extreme crazy levels, these amps will please you in every way.

Plinius Odeon 7 channel amp: This is THE BEST multichannel amp i have ever owned. Far , but FAR SUPERIOR to any other multichannel amp i have owned. In my opinion it destroyed all of the multichannel amps i mentioned above and below. The Odeon is an amp that is in a different tier group and it is in a league of its own. Amazing bass, treble and it made my center channel sound more articulate than ever before. The voices where never scrambled with the action scenes. It just separated everything very nicely.

Theta Dreadnaught D: Good detailed amp. Looks very elegant, has a pleasant sound, but i found it a tad too bright for my taste. I thought it was also somewhat "thin" sounding lacking body to the music. could be that it is because it is class d?

Krell Duo 300: Good amp. Nice and detailed with enough power to handle most speakers out there. I found that it does have a very nice "3d" sound through my electrostatics. Nothing to fault here on this amp.
Mark Levinson 532H: Great 2 channel amp. Lots of detail, amazing midrange which is what Mark Levinson is known for. It sounds very holographic and will please those of you looking for more detail and a better midrange. As far as bass, it is there, but it is not going to give you the slam of a pass labs 350.5 or JC1s for example. It is great for those that appreciate classical music, instrumental, etc, but not those of you who love tons of deep bass.

It is articulate sounding too
Krell 7200: Plenty of detail and enough power for most people. i found that my rear speakers contained more information after installed this amp. One thing that i hated is that you must use xlr cables with this amp or else you lose most of its sound performance when using RCA’s.

Krell 402e: Great amp. Very powerful and will handle any speaker you wish. Power is incredible and with great detail. That said, i didn’t get all the bass that most reviewers mentioned. I thought it was "ok" in regards to bass. It was there, but it didn’t slam me to my listening chair.

Bryston 4B3: Good amp with a complete sound. I think this amp is more laid back than the SST2 version. I think those of you who found the SST2 version of this amp a little too forward with your speakers will definitely benefit from this amp’s warmth. Bryston has gone towards the "warm" side in my opinion with their new SST3 series. As always, they are built like tanks. I wouldn’t call this amp tube-like, but rather closer to what the classe audio delta 2 series sound like which is on the warm side of things.

Parasound JC1s: Good powerful amps. Amazing low end punch (far superior bass than the 402e). This amp is the amp that i consider complete from top to bottom in regards to sound. Nothing is lacking other than perhaps a nicer chassis. Parasound needs to rework their external appearance when they introduce new amps. This amp would sell much more if it had a revised external appearance because the sound is a great bang for the money. It made my 800 Nautilus scream and slam. Again, amazing low end punch.

Simaudio W7: Good detailed amp. This amp reminds me a lot of the Mark Levinson 532h. Great detail and very articulate. I think this amp will go well with bookshelves that are ported in order to compensate for what it lacks when it comes to the bass. That doesn’t mean it has no bass, but when it is no Parasound JC1 either.
Pass labs 350.5: Wow, where do i begin? maybe my first time around with the xa30.8 wasn’t as special as it was with this monster 350.5. It is just SPECTACULAR sounding with my electrostatics. The bass was THE BEST BASS i have ever heard from ANY amp period. The only amp that comes close would be the jC1s. It made me check my settings to make sure the bass was not boosted and kept making my jaw drop each time i heard it. It totally destroyed the krell 402e in every regard. The krell sounded too "flat" when compared to this amp. This amp had amazing mirange with great detail up top. In my opinion, this amp is the best bang for the money. i loved this amp so much that i ended up buying the amp that follows below.

Pass labs 250.8: What can i say here. This is THE BEST STEREO AMP i have ever heard. This amp destroys all the amps i have listed above today to include the pass labs 350.5. It is a refined 350.5 amp. It has more 3d sound which is something the 350.5 lacked. It has a level of detail that i really have never experienced before and the bass was amazing as well. I really thought it was the most complete power amplifier i have ever heard HANDS DOWN. To me, this is a benchmark of an amplifier. This is the amp that others should be judged by. NOTHING is lacking and right now it is the #1 amplifier that i have ever owned.

My current amps are Mcintosh MC601s: i decided to give these 601s a try and they don’t disappoint. They have great detail, HUGE soundstage, MASSIVE power and great midrange/highs. The bass is great, but it is no pass labs 250.8 or 350.5. As far as looks, these are the best looking amps i have ever owned. No contest there. i gotta be honest with you all, i never bought mcintosh monos before because i wasn’t really "wowed" by the mc452, but it could have been also because at that time i was using a processor as a preamp which i no longer do. Today, i own the Mcintosh C1100 2 chassis tube preamp which sounds unbelievable. All the amps i just described above have been amps that i auditioned with the C1100 as a preamp. The MC601s sound great without a doubt, but i will say that if you are looking for THE BEST sound for the money, these would not be it. However, Mcintosh remains UNMATCHED when it comes to looks and also resale value. Every other amp above depreciates much faster than Mcintosh.

That said, my future purchase (when i can find a steal of a deal) will be the Pass labs 350.8. I am tempted to make a preliminary statement which is that i feel this amp could be THE BEST stereo amp under 30k dollars. Again, i will be able to say more and confirm once i own it. I hope this update can help you all in your buying decisions!

128x128jays_audio_lab

@jays_audio_lab 

i applaud Gryphon for doing what’s best for the music and not the environmentalists. “If you want to play, you gotta pay”

My class A amp dissipates 81% of its power in heat. Well worth the trade off IMO. 

Thanks for your kind word...

We are on the same page about music meaning, save i take like a personal challenge project to understand and take control by my own of my small room acoustic...It is finished now...Zero cost... 😁😊

I dont read "score" sheet, but i can explain in details with a metaphorical " novel" all details of the fifth symphony of Bruckner for example and what is the meaning for me and why...It is enough for me...All music are like a film for me... Reading the scores will be boring at the highest degree, mathematician dont use abacus they use concepts, abstract operations and numbers lanscapes... The score is there for the musician to play his tune....The resulting music body is not in the score at all, the skeleton is...

I consider the Bruckner 5th for some reeasons one of the deepest work ever written...With the art of the fugue, the well tempered Klavier, and the stupendous underestimated Liszt Christus and the last Scriabin which is near the border between atonal and tonal , which i collected ALL versions if possible...I listen Persian and sufi music, Indian classical and some jazz...

My system cost is 500 bucks but very well embedded mechanically, electrically and acoustically at no cost with my own homemade devices...Then i listen music and bother no more with gear... I am interested by Jay thread and video because of his honesty and passion more than with the gear he tested .... 😁😊

Speaking about the Music/sound  experience the ratio between S.Q./price ratio is not where people think it is...Because they dont know how to embed their gear mechanically, electrically and especially acoustically... The greatest luxury in audio is not a costly amplifier it is a dedicated acoustically controlled room...Then the point of diminishing return is not so dar away... When i listen Vladimir Feltsman piano filling my room with Bach i dont listen the sound anymore.... 

Now  because my audio system is   relatively optimally implemented i only listen music without bothering more about anything else...

My best wishes to you....

I am not in this audio hobby as a scientific project, but rather as a means of getting the maximum information and understanding of the music I love.

Not surprised. You never keep any speakers more than 6 months or so. 6 months is really an eternity for you for speakers.

Hey, don't look now but the PrimaLuna/Raven thread has nearly hit 1,000 posts in a week.  That is a torrid pace.  At that rate it'll pass this thread by June ; )

Moving away from the XLFs is a complete surprise! Your own words explain it, "I don't fall in love with anything", it's still unexpected. Packing up the XLFs would seem to be a 2 or 3 person job? I'm excited to see what is replacing the Wilsons, Rockport, Vivid, Vandy, Joseph, Kharma, too many to guess.

Interesting 🤔. Many want Joseph audio to be in here. 

Don't dismiss any brand and remember they are under $100k MSRP. Incredible bass in my room is an understatement!

It's not that I want JA to be there - just a prediction.  OK, now you have me thinking.  Perhaps an Estelon or a Rockport?

Dave

Post removed 

All I will say for now about the new speaker is this:

1. Less than 100k MSRP
  2. Not made in the U.S.
  3. 3-way speaker
Post removed 

It’s a Gryphon speaker guys, c’mon follow along. He said he might become a dealer. Just look how much Gryphon news he’s been posting lately. Not a coincidence 

That's too easy, if that's the case kren0006.  You do have a great track record with predicting, so you might be absolutely right.   However, I think the Pantheon would be the top of the line under $100K MSRP, because the Trident MKII and others are over $100K.

Dave

Ha, I didn’t even look to see if Gryphon has a speaker under $100k or in the weight class WC mention. Maybe they don’t. Just thought about it for 10 seconds and posted my guess.

Plus I think the only reason he’d get rid of what has obviously been his favorite speaker per his listening comments (despite his hedging now) would be to evaluate more Gryphon for purpose mentioned

I was right about Mephisto Solo when so many were guessing Block Audio. But I’ve been wrong before - wouldn’t be first time.

i’ll say if it isn’t Gryphon then I think it is a brand he’s had before because were it not I think he’d have said that

Churning/Burning through gear like a friend of mine…who is constantly unhappy with his stuff..and changes it every few weeks..a recipe for long term discontent. I feel sorry for anyone who does this in our hobby.

@daveyf

you clearly did not watch the entire video from today...you didn’t care to watch what I said about me selling gear quick.

Who in here can look at all the components I’ve had in 2021 and calculate how long each component stayed in the room?

If someone did, it would dismantle this narrative created by you above. I hang on to stuff for months now but of course the narrative seems to be the same because nobody bothers to do a little research. If someone has the time to do so, please go on and post here. 

Holding gear for months?? That is no time at all. Some of the most experienced folk I know in this hobby have had their same gear for decades! They love the music, not the gear. I’m not saying that trying to go for the SOTA is requiring one to stick with gear for ages, BUT it sure helps to know when to get off the train, so to speak. That is unless you are never content/experienced enough to know when you have reached a plateau and that the next step up is unlikely in the near future. Contrary to what a lot of guys believe, I am not one that thinks that epiphany’s are likely every few weeks...or even months, in this hobby. It’s all small degrees with typically more steps backwards than forwards. This is NOT a popular opinion with most high end manufacturer’s, or reviewers ( for obvious reasons), but I discovered many years ago that the latest is not always the greatest in this hobby...and sometimes far from it. The mistakes can be costly to you, but not typically for the dealer..or the manufacturer. Churning through gear tells me that a clear and defined ( and reasonable) goal is not well defined in the hobbyist...leading to my prior post.

@jays_audio_lab I actually watched your video from start to finish! Did you not say " I never fall in love with any gear"? That’s fine, but it should be a goal of most hobbyists, at least IMHO, to actually know what they are trying to achieve in this hobby, and more importantly what is possible for their budget. I may have missed this part, but what is your goal from the hobby?

BTW, I think we would agree on most things with regards to audio reproduction...and I do agree with most of what you have pointed out in your videos. ( well at least the one’s that I have viewed...there seem to be so many, LOL).

People criticize without knowing and confusing TWO DIFFERENT GOALS...

Audiophile experience with the greatest possible pieces of gear ask for completely different attitude and work than audiophile experience with one chosen system...

It takes me few years to figure out HOW to embed my system mechanically, electrically annd acoustically...

I know by experience and experiment that most people dont know how, save giving their money for ready made  products and solution that are ALWAYS partial solution ...

Then criticizing someone who have a complete different goal than living with a system ONCE AND FOR ALL is meaningless...

Just the acoustical treatment and acoustical controls takes months of work every day to figure out...

Or you must  throw 100,000 bucks to a competent acoustician...

Then Jay is Jay, you cannot ask the same thing from him than the things you must ask for yourself to do and figure out  with a CHOSEN SYSTEM.... He compare and analyse with his own history and limitations... it is IMPOSSIBLE to review all pieces of gear and creating a chosen system at the same time...

My goal is to live with my components for a few months then move on. Do you think magazine reviewers live with gear for a year or two before they write about it?.

Post removed 

Jay, 

You said, "MSB into Mephisto monos is a step backwards.. I have been very clear on the fact that the mephisto needs a "race car" driver. You can't make a dac do a real preamp's job."

This implies that you do not really value neutrality/clarity, but prefer big scale dynamics which an added preamp does provide.  Any preamp ALWAYS adds its own flavor to the total sound.  That is a move away from neutrality and clarity.  I wonder why you proclaimed the Mephisto monos the best amp ever.  It seemed that it provided neutrality/clarity AND power/control.  Did you do extensive listening to MSB direct into Mepisto monos?  That doesn't provide enough dynamics for you?

@ron17 please do enlighten me.

@jays_audio_lab I think there are reviewers who do live with gear for years before putting pen to paper. Not that this necessarily imbues them with more knowledge and experience about the product, but it probably cannot hurt. HP was in fact notorious for keeping gear for years after it arrived at his abode…most times to the detriment of the manufacturer. Not saying this is a correct behavior pattern, but it does show that there are reviewers who have different protocols.
Living with components for just a few months and then moving on…seems to me to be a little self-defeating as a goal in this hobby, even if you are trying to gauge the worth of every product on the audio market, but that’s just IMHO.

You don't need to live with any component for a year in order to know if it moves you or not. 

@viber6 

Msb sounds bright into Mephisto. You will get ear fatigue faster than if you stood in front of the speakers at a club. 

You are absolutely correct, but hopefully you will come to a place that you are happy with…which seems like an elusive goal for you. This hobby has a fundamental problem…and that is we are all listening for something different!
The other issue, is also not well disclosed…and it is this…the difference between the sound of a ‘live’ unamplified instrument and the absolute portrayal of a ‘live’ event can never truly be attained. Therefore, the best we can hope for is an approximation of what we ‘hope’ the real event sounded like. In almost all instances, that is nothing more than a guess on our part.

I recently had an interesting couple of conversations with two very well known high end designers. I asked them both these questions…A) how did you come to design your gear in reference to what live musical event…and B) how often do you listen to live music…or the re-creation in the studio of music.

The answer from both of these folks was very very enlightening.

I’m running a YouTube channel so the day I arrive at not moving to the next component then that is the day I can close my channel. As long as more product keeps coming out, I will keep going.

Well, it's 1155PM and I'm listening. Synergy is far greater with thrse Mephisto monos and these new speakers than I remember it being with the XLF. It's going to be a long night!

Post removed 

Viber, for the millionth time WC has told you that a good preamp is better than without it. He just told you that dac direct into Mephisto sounds like crap. You are a slow learner on this point. Stop wasting the thread’s time with your never-ending insistence to the contrary about systems you’ve never heard.

indeed, if this entire thread were boiled down to WC’s top 5 lessons, that would be one of them. That a good preamp is better than no preamp with the level of gear to which this thread pertains. Why?  Because dac-direct sounds unnatural and distorted. I realize that is the type of sound you prefer but your sonic preferences are fringe and minority 

kren0006,

Jay didn't say that MSB into M monos sounds like crap.  He said it sounds bright and produces ear fatigue.  If I listened in his room and with loud SPL's I would agree with his observations.  No, dac-direct isn't distorted--it is the way to reveal more detail and musical content.  This is true of both megabuck and cheap systems. This is not YOUR taste, but it is mine.  STOP YOUR INCESSANT DEPRECATION OF MY PREFERENCES.  You continually assert that I have no respect for others' preferences, but you are guilty of that sin against me.  Jay and you are entitled to your preferences, but Jay's observations are consistent with mine.  That makes his findings useful to me, so I learn much from him.  Whatever I might learn from you is tainted with your negativity.

What I do is to state objectively that dac-amp produces more detail/clarity, and dac-preamp-amp produces more warmth and dynamics.  You cannot handle facts, but go on the emotional warpath because you thrive on antagonism toward people with different preferences.

Furthermore, Jay's top lessons are his own personal opinion, and he states continually that they are "one man's opinion."  That makes him respected, unlike you with an undertone of vicious attacks.  You will continue to deny this, and just state that I should deal with your "facts."  THAT makes you a slow learner, to put it politely.  

Knowledgeable listeners like mikem and mahgister value my opinions, so I will continue to state what I hear from my extensive experience.  If you think I am wasting your time, just ignore me and don't respond to me.  There is no place for your incessant negativity towards me.

mahgister,

Thanks for your recommendation of Bruckner's Fifth Symphony.  The most popular are 7, 8, 9.  I don't know the 5th.  I'll message you this weekend.  You have eclectic musical knowledge, much to learn from you.  THANKS.

@viber6 

i had my DAC directly connected to my amp, using jRivers 64bit volume control. Was ultra transparent and revealing! It would still be that way if I didn’t start streaming music, the app passes thru the systems DAC chip first, unfortunately, unlike JRiver. 
So I went to Music First Audio, Jonathan Billington for a passive that wouldn’t add or subtract from the signal. I had him build me a custom unit with no selector switch and using the 31 position larger tapped transformers. This proved to be ultra transparent, yet still with body when present on the recording. My last 3 preamps , Freya+ , Pass XP12 then XP22 we’re all very good and I still have two of them, but this passive simply gets out of the way and let’s the music flow. I enjoyed the other preamps , but over time, I found them to be too “ euphoric“ for my tastes.. Live music isn’t smoothed over, I’m not bored anymore.  Less is more in audio.. keep everything as simple as possible, but not simpler.. 

Good day all…

@viber6 which version of Scheherazade do you prefer.?

my favorite so far is the 1959 Fritz Reiner & the Chicago symphony orchestra. Although the stage in Chicago they used was shallow and wide for that presentation , the recording is not the best, but the performance is impeccable.

I have nothing against your preferences. But you incessantly tell WC to try dac- direct and he tells you it is awful for his preferences. You do not respect his conclusions (he has tried it dozens of times and thinks it sucks in comparison) .

And it gets old reading the same old blather on dac direct from you. I bet WC has told you 20 times at a minimum that a good preamp is better, so stop beating a dead horse. WC strongly prefers a preamp and nobody cares that you do not (except that it likely further validates WC’s conclusions based on your fringe preferences)

To be more precise:

The more classical and "romantic" and shubertian one is the 3-4 for me...

He never corrected the 6 which is the more romantic piece about nature...

The 5 is the deepest for his mastering of the parts uniting in a complete final culmination in one ultimate chord...It is for me the best representation of the parts and events in one human life integrated in a karmic thema revealed by the integrating finale, the best i ever listen to, a fugue which would have impressed Bach...This work for me describe a human life on a spiritual pespective...

The 7 are the more beautiful for me...So seductive in his spell that anyone must love it for sure...

The 8 come after the 5 for the perfection of the parts interaction and so harmonious that it rival the 5...But its finale is less impressive than the 5...

The nine is the deepest moving one and the more spectacular, convey emotion to a deeper level than the others if possible .....

It is only my impressions....

My last surprize is the influence of Liszt Christus on the young Bruckner because the Liszt work is so perfect that only Bach even managed an oratio on this scale of perfection, and at the risk to be blasphemous for my idol, Liszt even reach the Bach mastery not by changing the syntax language but by uniting the meaning of the orchestral part with the voices in a work of three hours so perfect and economical , even the Bruckner third mass, by itself a master summum, dont exceed it...

LIszt being a pianist is a composer underestimated... the Christus is the proof....It is easily for me the greatest oratorio ever written....The last himalayan peak of the Romantic movement with Bruckner for me...

For sure these impressions comes to me and i am not a musician... Feel free to disagree or correct me...

mahgister,

Thanks for your recommendation of Bruckner’s Fifth Symphony. The most popular are 7, 8, 9. I don’t know the 5th. I’ll message you this weekend. You have eclectic musical knowledge, much to learn from you. THANKS

@daveyf

@ron17 please do enlighten me.

OK....sure.  There are some audiophiles who get off on gear more than music, Jay is one of them.  It's the hunt and the knowledge he obtains in trying as much of the industry's high end equipment as possible.  He loves to help people build systems based on what he has personally owned and listened to.  That was his goal when he started this thread and that hasn't changed.  Home audio is personal and very subjective...in every way.  He's not like you or me.  He's unique, and doing exactly what he wants to do.
Hope this helps.

mahgister,

Thanks for your education on Liszt and Bruckner.  I'll begin my listening to see if I can appreciate what you say.  Much less known are the Bruckner string quartet and quintet.  I've had these recordings for many years and still haven't gotten to them.  Do you know them?

Post removed 

mikem,

Oh yes, I heard the original version of the Music First passive preamp at a home dealer about 10 years ago. The amp was a Nuforce class D ref 18, speakers were Marten using ceramic drivers at about $30k. The owner said that all conventional preamps he had heard colored the sound in various ways, and that for musical honesty and truth, nothing equaled the MF. We listened together in a bypass test. "A" was the source direct into the power amp. "B" was the source into the MF preamp then into the power amp. "C" was the same as "B" except with MF switch in place for 6 dB gain, and the volume control turned down 6 dB to match the volume of "B." Back and forth listening several times--I couldn’t hear a difference. That meant that the MF passive preamp was perfectly transparent. Later, a more expensive MF unit came out. I couldn’t understand how that future unit would be better than what I heard. If it were to be better (more transparent), maybe I couldn’t hear that the original MF was only 99% perfect. Perhaps as ricevs says, the better unit had better wire in the transformer volume control device.

Yes, what counts is the pure unadulterated original music of the recording coming through, without superimposed "false music" of any electronics in the chain. We both hear this--it is obvious, for those whose goals are high fidelity.

Yes, my favorite Scheherazade recording is that 1959 Reiner/CSO you mentioned. Sidney Harth (1925-2011) was the concertmaster who played those great solos. In 1998, I recorded a small professional chamber ensemble with guest Sidney Harth as the leader in Tchaikovsky’s Souvenir of Florence. His playing was technically a little off compared to his prime days on the reoording, but the young musicians appreciated working with the elderly master, Harth. I felt honored to have the opportunity to hear and meet him, and I expressed my appreciation to him.

P.S. The MF, for those not familiar, controlled volume via a TVC, transformer volume control.  In effect, this is an impedance matching device, so the +6 dB gain switch was just another impedance, not electronic gain.  Mrdecibel understands better than I the virtues of his passive Luminous preamp compared to TVC.

mikem,

For live performances, I prefer shallow stages.  I found that the back and even middle rows on the deep stage muddy those instruments in excessive reverb.  The front row on the stage is clear, but the further back rows are way worse than the average audio system.  Have you heard the Mercury Living Presence recordings of the late 1950's?  The 1950 mono recordings of Rafael Kubelik were done in Orchestra Hall in Chicago.  Everything is clear, yet spacious enough. 

Post removed 

Yes i listen non stop to only Bruckner for few months when i discovered him 35 years ago...

The quintet is the work to listen to.... It is very beautiful....But nothing surpass Bruckner Symphonis, save his mastery of choral and orchestral integration like in his masses and his Te Deum..

I am pretty sure you dont need my "education" being a musician, i only speak to a friend... 😊

Thanks for your interest...

mahgister,

Thanks for your education on Liszt and Bruckner.  I'll begin my listening to see if I can appreciate what you say.  Much less known are the Bruckner string quartet and quintet.  I've had these recordings for many years and still haven't gotten to them.  Do you know them?

There are lots of wonderful music threads on Audiogon.  This is not one of them.  Maybe it would be best if a few of us started PM'ing each other or contribute to one of the following threads.  Just a thought.

Whats on your turntable tonight?

Whats playing on your system today?

Classical Music for Aficionados