Mcintosh customer support

Requested Firmware update from Mcintosh for my ageing but still good sounding D150 Dac Mcintosh customer support virtually refused to supply Firmware v 1.02 with me . their answer was,,

( Unfortunately, company policy prohibits me from sending out firmware updates. We used to distribute them openly but they ended up on forums and were installed into incorrect units causing a massive influx in service repairs. At that point the company instituted the policy to no longer distribute them.)

it is so sad that Audio Giant like McIntosh do not care about their customers.

128x128sabih

@sabih just curious what were your expectations for the firmware update? Why were you looking to do it?

As to McIntosh customer service, it’s definitely not the best even when it comes to warranty repair but in case of firmware updates, I side with them. I see on a daily basis how many people can’t understand elementary concepts. Arming them with a flash drive loaded with a firmware update is just too dangerous. I do agree that they should offer the firmware updates thru the local dealer network. 

@sabih -- you complained about McIntosh's poor communications with you that required multiple back-and-forths to get an answer, but your own postings leave me a bit confused.  I've read the thread twice and it's not clear to me if they are simply refusing to provide the file for you to do the update yourself or if they have refused to update your D150 even if you send it back to them for service.  What's the story, or is there more to it? (For example, they'll do the upgrade if you ship it back but they want to charge for it.)

McIntosh never excelled in Digital, but to hold back a upgrade to a customer 

is suicide,They just lost another customer. Having sold McIntosh back in the 2004

to 2008 in The U.K where they didn’t represent McIntosh very well but was coming back strong when I left to come back to the states. McIntosh was at its Zenith when the original Audiophile owners still owned it ,then sold it to a corporation ..

Corporations  it is common place profits over quality , sad but true .they are still respectable but Reputation not even close to back before it was sold. 

I have inquired McIntosh regarding their firmware updates.  From McIntosh, "you can get it done at the dealer or have the factory do it."  All you guys who claim they are going to dump all their McIntosh equipment, drop me a PM, I may be interested in something.  LOL,

You people are always ready to make disparaging remarks before you get all the facts.  The factory made this decision because most people have no computer skills and screw up the firmware installation making the unit "bricked".

Interestingly, I just had an experience this week with their product support folks on a digital device, specifically an MVP881BR.

For background, I purchased it as B stock from Audio Classics back in 2011 and after taking nearly a year to complete my HT set up, discovered an odd problem with it. That thread is posted here so I won’t repeat the details but will say that in early 2016, I conclusively identified a very unusual issue with the Blu-ray codecs in it. Took it to my local dealer in OH who couldn’t fix it or update the firmware. They sent it to the factory. After several months and very diligent investigation and testing, they replaced every single processing board in the deck and finally discovered in autumn 2016 (!) it was the HDMI output board causing the problem. That got changed out too. They sent it back to me and charged not one single penny for all of that time and effort.

Fast forward to 2024. I moved July last year under a corporate relocation and let the movers transport the entire household. All of my gear was all properly packed in the factory packaging, and nothing was physically damaged. I verified it all worked, but I couldn’t test every function before the insurance submission window expired. This past weekend, I discovered that the HDMI ports no longer output audio. The SPDIF and XLR outputs work just fine, the transport is the same as ever and everything looks and sounds just as wonderful as it always has. I presume the TOSLINK and component outputs work too, but haven’t had time to check those yet.

Mc stopped producing universal disc players about a year or two ago, so I figured I might have trouble getting it serviced. Emailed Ryan at A-C first since they’re now just an hour away and sure enough, they don’t service disc devices any longer. I then messaged Mc through the website. Got a reply this morning that they no longer have parts to repair the 881.

I’m bummed that the HDMI audio outputs can’t be repaired, but it doesn’t stop the player from fulfilling its function. Production of the 881 ran 2009-2012, so I’m not surprised that parts aren’t available anymore, either. While I still have 2011 Apple MacBook Pro that works, it doesn’t support 64 bit software, can’t be updated and the internal DVD-RW drive isn’t available anymore. That’s what happens with digital technology. It is not the fault of McIntosh, or Apple or anyone else.

I must also observe that McIntosh went way above and beyond the call servicing my deck back in 2016-2017 when it was at least 4 years out of a warranty that didn’t really need to be honored in the first place because of how I purchased it. I never pressured them about anything - I just asked nicely if they could fix the problem and gave them the space to try. When it was there about 90 days, I asked for an update, and they promptly told me they hadn’t opened it yet. Another 90 days later they got back to me without my asking to say they confirmed the issue but hadn’t identified what was causing it. I finally got a call from the engineer working on it with the complete diagnosis about 6 weeks later.

I feel we have to keep sight of the fact that this whole audio thing is a hobby. Yes, it’s expensive. But, is it really any different from owning a collector car? Or chronograph? How many of us characterize our rigs as a Porsche, Ferrari, Rolex or Patek Phillipe? How long does it take, what does it cost and what kind of parts availability exists for repairing, restoring or updating one of those? And what can you say to the factory if they choose not to support it any longer?

From my perspective, McIntosh remains one of the more customer-focused audio equipment manufacturers out there. This is despite their acquisition by folks who are more interested in the ROI than the THD. They have never failed to respond to my questions nor misrepresented their value proposition. Some of their stuff represents a good value to me and some doesn’t. That’s the beauty of a market economy - I get to make that choice instead of someone else.

So, the OP is neither correct nor incorrect; the OP simply made a choice and unhappy with it. I might have suggested a different approach to the problem, as others above have done. It is now too late for that. The only thing left to do is reflect, relax and enjoy some music.