Listening Room

Hello to all,

I think this is a situation many audiophiles find themselves in: That being your listening room is NOT a dedicated room that your expensive audio system resides in. You do NOT have a chair that is perfectly positioned in between speakers to optimize your listening enjoyment. Why? The room simply cannot accommodate a chair in the center or, most likely, your wife and/or significant other will not allow you to place a chair where it's supposed to be when listening.

Having said that, you listen to music from everywhere in the room. How does one go about speaker placement? How do you increase the sound stage? Are some speaker brands better than others when you do not have a dedicated listening room? Thanks for your input.

lovehifi22

You want to minimize toe in and look for speakers with wide sweet spots.  Also consider satellite/sub configurations or wall mounted speakers as well.

Revel is a reasonably affordable brand that fits this description.  Some of the mid-small size JBL monitors may also be good candidates here, especially the models with the butt-cheek horns.

The room simply cannot accommodate a chair in the center or, most likely, your wife and/or significant other will not allow you to place a chair where it's supposed to be when listening

WHAT??? "wife and/or significant other will not allow you" WTH? I'm always amazed when I see men say things like this. We have very comfortable DR chairs which I move in place  after puling my recliner back a little. Then when I/we finish listening session, I move it back where it belongs.

I would try to audition Ohm speakers. I believe they are now only sold direct, but have a trial period. 

@jgjg123  is a disturbingly familiar sounding screen name.  Could it be?  Nooo . . . tell me it isn't. . .

Anyway, on the outside chance that this is a serious question, I'd say +1 to @erik_squires  for recommending a pair of forgiving speakers.  

Negotiation or bribery. A marriage or relationship requires compromise on both sides. If you are an audiophile then your partner should work with you. Btw, when we moved together she had Ohm speakers, which we happily jettisoned along the way.

Listening chair on wheels to move into position. 

My partner hated the big black boxes in our living room for nearly a couple decades… but she recognized that it was one of my passions. We now have a large house with a large dedicated area for my system. I’m not sure we would have gotten to 38 years had she prohibited me from experiencing the sweet spot.