JL Fathom F113

Hey guys,

So I decided to put a stereo in my car. Got some awesome Focal Utopia speakers, upper end JL 5 channel amp. I have a broken down JL F113. Was wondering if anyone knows if it uses the same W7 woofer that would be in a car? The 13.5 W7 costs about $1700 so if it’s the same and usable might be a good use for it. 

thanks

Mofojo

mofojo

Are you certain the F113's driver is the culprit? The plate amps on the fathom units have a history of failure.

If it is the driver, JL could probably tell you what replacement is compatible. Car audio units tend to be dual voice coil and at fairly low impedance (1.5 ohm). Not sure this spec would fly in an in-home unit.

So I think I didn’t explain this correctly. I am interested in possibly taking the driver from the home unit and putting it in a car box and installing in the car. That is if it’s the same or comparable driver. 

The driver is perfect. The plate amp has issues (I believe some input caps) as yakbob mentioned. 

it uses the same W7 woofer that would be in a car?

Yes, JL F113 using 13W7D1.5 woofer with dual 1.5 ohms voice coil.

@mofojo 

You're very welcome! Have you consider fixing it? a new one (mk2) cost $6k and use one goes for $3k!