JBL L100 Classic 75's - Thoughts, Impressions, Serial Numbers

Hey everyone,

I recently took delivery on a pair of JBL L100 Classic 75’s. I love the look of these and what I’ve been able to experience so far. This is the first pair of JBL’s I’ve owned in my audio journey. Most of my time in the hobby has been with smaller bookshelves plus a sub (2.1). I was curious who on the board has a pair of these and what your thoughts were? How do they compare to other speakers you’ve had? Also curious what serial numbers are out there.I’m in the US and my pair is pair #264.

-Will

128x128willg1985

Congrats, the 75's really look stunning.

I only heard the L100 at the dealer.  They can rock effortlessly.  They scared me off because to me they seemed very bass heavy, and this was in a large listening room at the dealer with quite a bit of space around them.  I felt the L82 would've been a better fit for me but the dealer didn't have them in stock at the time.

Thanks! I'm really excited about them. These don't seem this way to me but I am moving in 2 weeks so we'll see what the new room does. I'm really just trying to run them in right now as I don't want to waste time on placement and tweaking knowing it would be so temporary.

I like them, fairly efficient. Early serial number, vertically aligned drivers? Even better.

I've spent about a week with them (100ish hrs) and think that they are incredible. They seem to keep getting better and better. 

Nice to read the feedback on these JBLs plus the positive stuff I have come across online. Mine is still on it's pallets and in the crate. I'll open and do the unboxing when the room they will go into is ready. Hopefully by end of June or more like July. Closets and cabinets still need to be installed as well as some electrical work, painting plus finishing touches. I made sure the room has dedicated electrical wiring that way no outlet share a line. I've had my speakers for almost 3 months now. Can't wait to put everything together. 😎

My brother has a pair bought new in 1975 when they still had a lifetime warranty. I’ve been suggesting that he get the crossovers and foam replaced for free but guess they still sound fine to him.

Nothing wrong with JBL. I still have my 4319 (big) monitors and was thinking of something else until I took them off their low, raked back stands and put them up on some stools and viola!, big time transformation.

I thought I always had enough distance to align myself with the tweeter and mid range but I was wrong. I'll be getting my Wharfedale Linton speaker stands tomorrow to complete things and enjoy what I've been missing all this time.

I figure that I'll be about midway between the tweeter and midrange with the stands.

All the best,
Nonoise

That's awesome @nonoise! I may try that down the road. I still feel like I haven't gotten to hear mine yet. I took delivery on them and didn't worry too much with placement etc because we were moving, we moved, took me a while to get everything situated and now, I have a ear infection haha. Really looking forward to getting in to these soon though. 

-Will

@willg1985 , If it's not one thing, it's another. Soon you'll be enjoying your speakers and experimenting with placement and then all will be well with the world. 

All the best,
Nonoise

Are you all still enjoying your l100?

I am thinking about pulling the trigger on these at some point. I currently listen to Stirling BBC LS3/6, which are wonderful, but for a change, I am tempted to have the JBLs.

I absolutely love mine. They really shine with quality gear behind it and at medium listening levels IMHO. Best speaker that I've ever owned.

Very happy with my pair... they were the first piece of gear I upgraded on my old system... then as it happens with more research and going down the rabbit hole, I went quite a bit further than I expected up the chain with my other gear to pair it with... and fortunately, no regrets at all!

They are performing better than I even expected. Definitely not lacking in the Bass department and it is very responsive to movement and set-up. Here is an early reviewer of the JBL L100 75s where he shares his glowing experience with it:

https://youtu.be/h5k9sUd31iU

Awesome @audiomaxi. Glad to hear that you are liking yours as well. I recently upgraded the jumpers on mine and am really happy with it. Cheers and happy listening!

@willg1985  - Curious to know what upgraded Jumpers you used and what difference did it make? Was it for a better and more secure connection? On the video above, "Tharbamar" did the same thing using Viborg BP603R Binding Posts and Audiocrast Jumpers. Anyway, just wondering... Take it easy and glad to hear the speakers are still rockin' your room! 🎸

@audiomaxi - I am using the Nordost Norse 2 (https://tmraudio.com/accessories/speaker-cables/nordost-norse-2-bi-wire-jumpers-set-of-4/). It wasn't for a better or more secure connection, but rather to upgrade from the stock plates. I'm not great with the audio descriptors but it definitely has improved the sound. I feel like there is more instrument separation and clarity with these. Happy listening!

@willg1985 - NICE! Thanks for the feedback and I'll probably also consider tinkering around with the jumpers as well... Cheers! 🍺