Infinity RS 1B - How does the 'old dream speaker' compare to today's speakers?

Just saw again a photo of the 4 RS 1B towers, which 40+ years ago was my 'best speaker in the world' (yet never heard one). 

I know there a quite a few owners still out there, and would assume they had a chance to compare them side by side to modern "Audiophile" (say $10k or more if needed) speakers. 

How do they compare? 

Or maybe links to source material where that question is discussed? 

kraftwerkturbo

I heard the new IRSs when they were formally introduced.  It was the first truly mind-boggling experience I had as a young audio enthusiast (a developing "audiophile").  They single-handedly catapulted me into the arena of realizing concert-hall realism (quality AND quantity) IS possible at home. A 40+-year career followed, and continues today.

We provide performance mods for audio equipment and recently reworked a pair of modest Infinitys.  There is a replacement EMIT diagram that at least as good as the original.  

I can't image these being anything less that spectacular with the right equipment pairing in a large room.

Have several irs infinity have rebuilt some of the ribbons rewired and changed to electronic crossovers.they are tri amped.that is one amp for woofers ...

The planar drivers in the Infinity IRS systems (IRS 1-V, Beta, Delta, Gamma) were not ribbons. All of the IRS systems were intended to be biamplified and were shipped with electronic crossovers that included an active servo system for the bass. Maintaining the servo is essential to get the bass performance for which these speakers are famous.

I love line source speakers.  Keep in mind you must have a room they will work well with. Expansive sound means a larger room.

I have only heard the irs reference speakers modded by ps audio at the ps audio factory.

Their listening room was on the small side for these speakers. If you have a large listening room, they could keep up with today’s flagship speakers or beat many of them.

Paul McGowan’s new Aspen FR30 ain’t beating that infinity, no matter what his sales pitch is.

Just in case you want to buy a pair of IRS speakers (IRSV fully refurbished and updated): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oXU9xIgv_DI

Interesting video by Paul McGowan of PS Audio.