if you had this system, what would you do to make it sound the best you can

This is my first time using this forum. I'm looking to improve my system, and I'd like to hear your ideas of what you would change or purchase to make it sound even better. Current system:  McIntosh amp MC202, 200 watts/ch; C42 preamp with DAC and 8 band equalizer; MCD 301CD; MR85 Tuner; streamer MB20.  TT is Pro-ject Classic SB, Equalizer Sound Shaper 3 IC, Speakers Spendor A5s rated 150watts peak, cables Audioquest; R to R, J Corder Technics RS1520; Panamax Power.  All pieces have original power cords.  Audio cables are low-end.  Music: Classical, Jazz, Easy/soft Rock.  Joan Baez, Enya, etc. thank you for any advice.

markley

if you're using stock power cords that's the first problem get rid of all of them and upgrade them to OCC single crystal power cords and same with your interconnects and speaker wire, OCC single crystal has been proven to be the best wire for audio for over 50 years, there's many good manufacturers harmonic technology, acoustic zen, Zenvfino, and especially Neotech they make rectangular OCC single crystal wire which is even better than the round OCC single crystal wire. Also putting the Townshend podiums underneath your speakers will be the biggest improvement you could ever do they isolate vibration down to three Hertz and they get rid of almost all room problems, The improvement was as if I had upgraded all my electronics to much more expensive gear.

Here are some easy things

Walk around the room.  Listen for certain frequencies changing volumes.  If you hear nulls or peaks, sound treatment.

If your system has been as is for a while, take all the interconnects and speaker wire apart and clean with DeOxit or Stabillant 22.

Isolate speakers from floor.  I used springs but my speakers have a big footprint.

Any old equipment in 20 to 30 yr range should be checked.

Those are low cost.  Another quick one is the ADD POWR company.  Most expensive one is $4000.  It will just open up the music, make it clearer and has a 30 day audition.. Turn it on and play music.  In 20 minutes, you will hear what it does.  Turn it off to double check.  Turn it back on, etc.  Have fun.

Thank you all for your suggestions and comments.  That helps me make some decisions on how to improve the system.

the system electronics are in a closet system designed for the pieces I have.

the room is challenging as it is 12x18, open with 24 foot at peak vaulted ceilings. I will checkout the suggestions and make changes.

@markley - start with cables. Once you have them n place it’s easier to discern improvements when changing components and speakers.

A very good brand is Audio Envy - great cables at affordable prices.

Next step up from there would be Zavfino

Here’s my thread as to why cables make such a huge difference

I’ve made cables for around 15 years and had great success on rigs of varying prices, from $350 to $70k

Your system can sound much better with the right cables

Once he cables are in place I would then repalce the speakers - Tannoy make some excellent speakes for an afordable price - but there are so many good brands to choose from

Good Luck with your quest - Steve

Post removed