If A.I. took the place of musicians, would you listen to it?

A few questions which I'm curious about. If you have a take on this, please share!

Here's the question:

A.I. is increasingly playing a role in music creation. Not just assisting composers, but generating music.

If you found an A.I. generated song to be enjoyable, interesting, etc. would you have any objection to supporting it by listening and paying for the service which provides it?

If more and more music was like this, and there were fewer and fewer jobs for musicians, would that bother you? -- I'm thinking here about the aesthetics of the issue, not the economics or justice of it. 

I'm trying to understand if people just want to have a certain set of sensations from music and they don't care if there are human beings creating it -- or if it's important for you to know that what you're experiencing from music (or art) is coming from human beings.

Thank you for thinking about this.

128x128hilde45

AI will do great things for us, like modeling new drugs (already happening), working out the tech of fusion energy (huge and already happening and a possible answer to the climate change/energy problem). Like fire that burned flesh but also raised mankind up AI will vault humanity to new levels.

And AI is basically human culture. It’s not alien.

Holly Herndon has been playing in this area for a while and her music is amazing.   Challenging but very interesting.  

@ossicle2brain Yes AI will do great things but it’s the flip side when applied is worrying. Newton's Third Law Is in the house. 

As you have the Tour up on your system photo obviously you are Aok. What a tour it was this year! Bet teams make use of AI too.  Phil and Bob maybe not. 

Let’s kick tonight of with some Johnny "Guitar" Watson before all jazz takes over. 

I got it. Humans are AI as well, we just don't quite realize it, so one AI will create another, same culture, nothing to worry about.

Fusion still only works in a lab, barely. It's a long way until it becomes useful.

Rather than various Turing tests a more distinctive test might be to ascertain whether the AI entity involved can demonstrate psi abilities such as remote viewing which does not rely on statistical analysis to get "hits." True it does rely on physical "coordinates" to bring the viewer into a state of some sort, and AI would certainly be hoovering up enough of that sort of data that it could easily know what is existing at that coordinate, but remote viewers don't really have any particular knowledge about minute physical coordinates when they are given their "task" which involves much more than just declaring what is "at" that coordinate.

AI might eventually learn the secret of paranormal abilities though in which case we are all kinda screwed, or at the very least caught up in an entanglement with a machine that could fall prey to a very insidious and powerful sort of psychopathy without really knowing what it was doing which modus operandi describes the behavior of human psychopaths. When they have lots of power they can cause immense damage. We have had to put up with such psychopaths before. We are dealing with them at this very moment.