I’m confused. Please explain.

Hello everyone. There are quite a lot of posts of people wanting their system to sound like real instruments like you would hear at the symphony. I don’t see the importance of it. I’ve been to the symphony one time recently and it was nice but until then I’ve basically only listened to music  made in a studio, amplified and then mixed. I have been to concerts but even that music was at least  amplified. 
Surely you listen to more than just classical music. Are you saying studio music can somehow be made to sound like symphony instruments? I  want my music to sound like it did when it was recorded if possible. I enjoy many genres of music so I don’t see why I would desire it to sound like I’m at the symphony. I consider my system neutral so it is true to the recording. Thank you for your thoughts. 

Regards 

Ron 

ronboco

As an dealer of "pretty decent" audio gear, I was proud of our product selection at the time. I got word that the Polish national champion string quartet was coming to our area. So, I got tickets. About 47 seconds into the performance, I hated every speaker we sold. Lower midrange detail, as a example, was simply non-existent by comparison. So, I knew the vocals weren’t "right", nor the piano, nor electric guitars, etc. So, I went speaker shopping. And, amp shopping.  And, source shopping. And, cable shoppping. And power delivery shopping. And, accessory shopping. Until we got closer to "live" music. Which we did.

The reference to "concert quality sound" is a powerful and effective marketing tool. Reconnecting to the emotional experience of a live performance is the pinnacle creating a real connection to the equipment and the listener. Classical music is often used in marketing in that it represents the ultimate statement of refinement and sophistication. Even those who have little real life interaction with the genre can relate.

Some will develop "a very sensitive antenna" as it relates to musical nuance in a system designed to play music at home and strive for a level of perfection. Some won’t. And, some will simply settle for "good enough", which is not a wrong answer if it makes them happy.

I would guess I'm an outlier, but I actually don't enjoy most (in person) live music.

Listening to other people who don't understand that when music plays, you shut your gob. The singing along by people who shouldn't sing. The phones held aloft for two hours to record the entire event. The price of concessions. The quality of most PA systems which sound like they were set up by a deaf sadist. I could go on.

I would without question rather listen at home.  I do like live recordings, I just don't want to be there myself. I don't understand the draw. 

Relevance or Irrelevance based on the category of listener

1) Musicians who genuinely care about how their instruments sound during playback:

Relevant

2) Mastering Technicians

Irrelevant

3) Musicians who are about ...'get it over with dude, i need to get paid, got bills to pay'

Irrelevant

4) Audiophiles:

Irrelevant

5) General Masses/Non-Audiophiles:

Irrelevant