How to make your amp more expensive

Saw this article about weight being added to a computer power supply and thought to myself "Hey, I know amplifiers that do this...."   😁

erik_squires

Something (else) odd about a lot of humans believing that something heavier is better, even pets. I've heard more than one person (almost always a guy) say, "I've got a 150 pound Rottweiler (or any other large breed)  and he's great." No sir, you have an overweight dog. 

Someone could build an amp out of magnesium and people would probably think it isn't that good because of how light it would be except magnesium has one of the highest strength to weight ratios. As my dad would say, use your head for something other than a hat rack.

I do a lot of mods to my gear, which improves the sq performance. Some are : Isolating the transformer within the chassis, which requires removing it, putting damping material along the inside bottom, and re-installing the transformer; removing the power cord, and replacing it with a 10gauge cord, with a selected plug of my liking. These two things alone are, based on what I, and others, hear, create improvements in sq performance. Damping heat sinks ( and the entire chassis for that matter ), is another revelatory improvement in sq. Just as an example, I own two Adcom GFA 535II, one completely modded, and one stock. Night and day between the two...yes, the modded one being quite superior ( and heavier ) in every way. Enjoy ! MrD.